DXO Photolab 5 hanging (MacOS)

We’ve had numerous reports of this. We’re looking into that right now.

From what I’m seeing here, it seems linked to the Internet connection, so we’ll be checking that first.

Thanks!

Both my Macs are connected to the internet. M1 is working, Intel i9 not. External drive is connected to the iMac. With PL, no noise at all, with C1 very intense harddrive noises after start. Also, C1 was again “optimizing the performance” as if it’s running on a new Mac.

macOS 12.3 features “Universal Control”, which sounds like a possible candidate for interoperability issues.

Update: Upgraded a M1 MacBook Air to macOS 12.3 and found that DPL5 works as expected.

For me it only happens when the internal MacBook screen is active. 2 externals (1 directly, 1 via eGPU) does not create a problem while being online

I used DXO a lot during 12.3 Beta with Universal Control active, had no issues back then.

only external call happening (visible from activity monitor) I can see during hang is the following:

10.0.1.51:49781->frankfurt-10.cdn77.com:https (the first part is my lokal network internal IP

after this “open file” only 2 additional files seem to be opened (DOPDatabaseV5.dopdata & DOPDatabaseV5.dopdata-wal)

I have two screens on my iMac, and I have the image browser undocked on the second screen on that one. The other two Macs only have one screen.

And I have started to use Universal Control between the iMac and the Mac mini.

Thank you @Aearenda . The thing I forgot to add to my questions: Are your pictures on the internal or an external drive?

On the M1 Macs, internal. The iMac is complicated. It came with a Fusion drive, combining a small SSD and large HDD, which I split long ago. The internal SSD is too small to be any use now, and it boots off a 2TB Thunderbolt 3 SSD instead. Recent images are on that drive, older ones on the internal HDD, and there are archives on 10TB drives attached by USB3 - they all open ok in PL5, even the archives.

That’s complex but not really exotic. I’m using a 24 TB RAID TB3 externally for all images, system is internally. Catalogs of C1 and other app catalogs are on an external TB3 SSD. With the limits of “no matter how big your internal drive, one day it will become too small” I expect form each app to deal perfectly with external drives.

We have fixed an issue server-side, so it might work better now. Please try launching PL5 again, and if it’s still stuck, force-quit it and relaunch it again, and it should work then.

We’re still working on it, so there may be a fixed version coming up later, but for now that should do the trick.

2 Likes

@kettch Working here now, thank you.

For me the fix works too, thanks

It’s fixed for me with the server-side changes. Thanks for the workaround.

Works perfectly thx

Not at first. After iMac Restart the folders were accessible again, no more beachball. Now it’s only the “normal” glitches, like… I better don’t get started.

I have the same issue. Once I disable the internet, PL5 opens. I am not going to do this as it is a DXO problem. Seems like they didn’t test very well when OS 12.2.1 came out. I sent a request in.

I don’t think that this problem is related to macOS Monterey. This seems to be some other problem because it suddenly happened to lots of different people with all sorts of different macOS versions.

This is not an issue related to a Monterey update. We have already fixed the issue partially, so please see my previous post for how to pass through this.
However, there’s still a bug in PhotoLab 5.1.2 so we’re looking into releasing a fix a bit later to avoid this issue altogether.

I would suggest that DxO PhotoLab users (and pro users generally with complex pro software) avoid early updates. Updates very rarely add anything to pro apps and Most of the security fixes are to Safari and just by choosing a Chromium browser (we recommend Brave for privacy and performance after testing, Chrome itself is full time spyware, here’s how to quickly set up Brave for privacy) and keeping it up to date you avoid most security issues and the urgent need to upgrade.

DxO is great software but is usually a bit slow on their updates. Popular new cameras take six months or more to support (Nikon Z9 currently, workaround). M1 Apple Silicon is still not supported despite DxO taking Mojave support away from us (I would happily have carried on with a Mojave Mac Pro until M1 Apple Silicon support was available, now we have a choice of staying on PhotoLab 4 or dealing with a half-crippled PhotoLab on Apple Silicon).

PS. This is advice for sensible photographers/people with work to do, not for technophiles who worship Apple and/or love to jump on every update and troubleshoot it for fun.