DxO PHOTOLAB 4 is Available!

Not sure what you mean by this, Mike - Can you elaborate a little ?

Sure. In Custom mode, make a virtual copy of a photo. It used to go right to that virtual copy, next to the original. Now you just see an M on the original and the visual copy can’t be found. Presumably, it’s behind the M copy but how to work on it?

Yes, that’s how it should work, Mike.

“M” designates the "M"aster version - - with virtuals having numeric id’s (1, 2, etc).
Sounds to me like you may have an active filter (that’s causing your virtual to be hidden) ?

John

3 Likes

Haha! Thanks, John! You know what, the virtual copy always used to appear on the left (Mac) and you were already on it. Now, it goes on the right and you stay on the master. I was just looking and clicking on what is now the wrong side!
Awesome! Thanks for that. (Somewhat embarrassed) Mike

3 Likes

Just tried to find a function to compare two different pictures, but didn´t find it. As this feature was on the wishlist of several users and shouldn´t be a big development, I would like to ask about the status.
Thx

1 Like

The open thread for that request to compare different pictures:

I think if DxO responds, that thread should be updated.

2 Likes

exactly. I was very disappointed when testing PL4 and missing this feature.

2 Likes

Really like this update on Windows 10. Especially DeepPRIME and the new UI. Nicely done!

3 Likes

DeepPRIME is a game changer, the extra detail retained in the image is outstanding!

5 Likes

I have worked with every version of DxO since DOP V.4. PL3 Elite already had very good noise reduction with Prime. I was therefore sceptical whether PL4 could really bring any further progress. But the difference is incredible! So it was worth buying this version as well.

3 Likes

I downloaded PL4, and I have to say that I am underwhelmed.

DeepPRIME is great but I haven’t yet found it a giant leap from PRIME, but it does remove the little artifacts that PRIME had. Other than the artifacts, I’m not seeing a big difference; PRIME already did well.

The tool palette stuff? Totally worthless… I have a workspace set up and I find that the new stuff provides absolutely no benefit. Maybe it will help someone.

Advanced history? That’s nice but it’s nothing that I ever missed having. In other words, I might use it, but I have never (since starting with PL2) felt the lack of a history tool.

Renaming files? I have software that does that and does it much better (because I wrote it and it does exactly what I want). If I didn’t have that software, I don’t think I could make it do the kind of renaming I need. I don’t think so but I’m not sure because I can’t find where the batch rename is hidden. Oh, wait—I finally found it. Nope, doesn’t do anything useful that I can see. I rename my files using metadata from the file. This tool is mostly find/replace with a few other silly features.

Selective paste? OK, finally something useful! I wrote the request for this feature and the specs for it and they seemed to have followed them (basically: do what Adobe is doing).

That’s it?

Heck, I don’t even use the database. I hate relying on a single source of corruption. Databases are just useful for keyword searches and I’ve found keywording to be too big a pain to bother.

What other feature would have been really useful (besides DeepPRIME and selective paste)? The one I would salivate over would be the ability to create luminosity masks and the ability to combine masks (union, intersection). When creating a mask, I would want to specify the luminosities selected as well as how they taper off. With that, I could actually do a ton of actually useful stuff.

Most of the features of PL4 are things I could live without. I’ve even learned to live without the selective paste feature, so DeepPRIME is about the only reason to upgrade. So: do I want to spend $69 just for DeepPRIME? That is the question…

Hi Freixas,

Thanks for your detailed notes. My own impressions are more positive.

DeepPRIME is great but I haven’t yet found it a giant leap from PRIME…PRIME already did well.

I’m a night sports photographer and work a lot with Prime. I agree with you that Prime was already amazing. The visual advance of DeepPrime is somewhat exaggerated, I agree. On the other hand, having a tool this fast makes it a whole lot easier to do test proofs for my images. When I know I can open up a 100% jpeg with DeepPrime processing within 10-15 seconds, soft-proofing becomes a reality. Waiting the 40 to 90 seconds per image with Prime means hope for the best and review the whole set later.

The tool palette stuff? Totally worthless… I have a workspace set up and I find that the new stuff provides absolutely no benefit.

I thought that at first and then realised that my Essential palettes and linear workflow with all the right tools side-by-side is the new default. When none of the tabs are available one has access to one’s own palettes in one’s own order. After that having quick tab access to the tools together is a nice small improvement. For new users who have not set up a linear workflow in Essentials, C1 style tabs probably make it a lot easier to get a running start with the Photolab interface. There’s deeper conversation about the new interface on this thread.

Advanced history? That’s nice but it’s nothing that I ever missed having. In other words, I might use it, but I have never (since starting with PL2) felt the lack of a history tool.

I was against advanced history thinking it would be intrusive and in the way. Frankly it’s a lot like in Photoshop and quite intuitive. It’s nice to be able to step back to an exact point precisely. Try it, like me, you might really like it.

Renaming files? I have software that does that and does it much better…

I agree, totally underwhelming. To bring renaming up to a useful level for very active photographers would be months more of work. The way it’s done, it does little harm and some good for less sophisticated users (no need to make walls of entry too high).

Selective paste? OK, finally something useful! I wrote the request for this feature and the specs for it and they seemed to have followed them (basically: do what Adobe is doing).

I was against this feature as well. Done this cleanly and just like Adobe, it is useful just to see what is coming over (I’m not turning much off at this point). As almost everyone has used Lightroom at one point, at least the learning curve is low. Thanks for writing the specs.

Counterpoint: I could live very well without this enhancement and do find it makes the workflow a bit busier and fiddlier than I like (I like the minimalist Zen of Aperture 2.x and old Photolab). But it does open up Photolab to more users. It would be great if the tool would remember the last checkboxes checked when working on a full set of photos so that we wouldn’t have to be unchecking the boxes for every paste job.

Heck, I don’t even use the database. I hate relying on a single source of corruption.

There should be an option to just turn the database off and open images one at a time. I also dislike this tendency to turn Photolab into a (very poor) photo management tool instead of a pure RAW developer which interacts very well with base OS file management and other photo management tools.

At least the database did not become more intrusive. DxO please make it an option to not have a database at all and just read the files from a folder from fresh every time, while writing changes to star ratings, copyright and keywords back to the XMP files where they belong.

the ability to create luminosity masks and the ability to combine masks (union, intersection). When creating a mask, I would want to specify the luminosities selected as well as how they taper off. With that, I could actually do a ton of actually useful stuff.

Hopefully luminosity masks will come soon. We’ve talked about this before but a lot of similar work can be done via the U-point interface in Local Adjustments. Adding luminosity masks to Local Adjustments would be fantastic. At some point, Photolab will have to make a big leap to layers to improve selective editing and make all the tools available to masks. There’s a real risk that RAW processing, especially with large files, could become so slow that Photolab essentially becomes unusable.

DeepPRIME is about the only reason to upgrade. So: do I want to spend $69 just for DeepPRIME? That is the question…

There’s more good things in Photolab 4 than just DeepPrime as my notes above suggest. There’s real performance improvements at least on my Mac tower with 12 cores and a Radeon VII graphic card. I can’t try Photolab 4 on a more modest laptop as nabobs at DxO have decided that all 2011 MBP should be cut off (last OS which works on these MBP, the last to have 17" screens and anti-glare screens and robust keyboards, is High Sierra 10.13). Only the ever more obnoxious system requirements (just last two Mac OS) leave a sour taste in my mouth.

2 Likes

Geez, I had a long review of the features and missed (at least) two:

The color picker is nice. That should have been there on day one, but it’s still just a nice-to-have. While I’m glad it’s been added, I never felt its absence strongly.

The watermark feature is also nice, but I’ll never use it. My work flow is PL -> TIFF -> Affinity Photo -> further alterations + resize + sharpen + watermark -> final image. Placing a watermark in PL would mean the watermark would be affected by a lot of stuff in Affinity Photo that I wouldn’t want it to be affected by. It comes too soon in the workflow.

And I can’t even drag the watermark into place or resize it with handles. I have to use the interface boxes. Yuck!

Amen! It looks like projects and keywords are the two things only stored in the database, as far as I can tell. Adjustments and corrections go into both the DOP and the database. I’d like to turn off the database. And yes, I’d like the star ratings, copyright and keywords in an XMP file, where they could be shared with other programs.

Customizable luminosity masks without mask union/intersection would sort of miss 90% of the benefits. To be honest, I’d like masks based on luminosity and masks based on color range/taper (as with the HSL control). I should probably write up a detailed spec for what I’d like and propose it as a new feature (I proposed something a long time ago, but it was half-baked and didn’t get much attention or votes).

If necessary for performance, I could live with just a one-level ability to intersect one of a set of lobal color/luminosity masks with one of the existing masks (paint, gradient, control point) to create a combo mask. Combining multiple masks in arbitrary ways (intersection of a union of intersections) could be done with a lot of caching and a lot of coding, but just having one level of intersection probably satisfies 99% of the use cases.

Speaking of performance, PL4 seems to run slower for me, not faster. The final image generation might be faster; I haven’t checked. But switching from one image to another seems to have a new and noticeable delay.

1 Like

Yep - That was my initial reaction too … See here for how I made it work for me (with actual improvement over my previous custom workspace).

Again, ditto for me … and a key feature of PL, for me, is that I we can choose to use sidecar/.dop files instead.

Since you’re already doing this (renaming images from outside PL), I presume you’re aware of the pitfalls of doing so whilst PL is actually running … Right ?

John M

Support for HEIC?

There is no support for HEIC at this time.

Mark

A highly welcome upgrade, particularly for the overdue evolution of the existing Prime NR. My first peeks at what DeepPrime does look promising indeed. Congrats to the team! :yum:

2 Likes

I’ve never had a problem, whether PL is running or not. My software renames both the file and the DOP to match. As I understand it, the DOP has precedence, so I’m not sure there are any pitfalls.

I had already seen your write-up when I wrote my statement. I don’t see it as buying me anything over what I have in PL3, which is really simple: I have a custom workspace. Lesser used features or panels are collapsed. I can expand those when needed. When things get too cluttered, I just reset back to my default workspace.

If I were starting new with PL4, I might have choose a different approach, but it wouldn’t necessarily be a faster or better approach.

It sounds like your self-written rename utility is ensuring that {image+sidecar} combos are being renamed together (as a pair) and “instantaneously” … which is as it needs to be - but, which is not necessarily the case with, say, File Explorer.

John M