DxO Photolab 3 as external editor for Apple Photos

Is there a way to use DxO photo lab 3 as an external editor for Apple Photos? It does not appear in the “Photos Editing” extension in system prefs. I also have the “Open In” extension for Photos, which will open DXO PhotoLab3, but the image will not open in photolab. Is there a way to make this work?

If it matters, I am on Mojave.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I deleted the “Open In”-extension from my system recently. The built in “Edit with” does the trick, see PhotoLab Mac Users : Status on Catalina (formerly Don't upgrade to CATALINA topic).

Indeed, this should do the trick. Also, if you’re seeing PhotoLab being launched but the photo not appearing, make sure you have the latest version of PhotoLab installed, and if it still doesn’t work, go and take a look in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Photos. You should see PhotoLab appearing there, and if it’s there but unchecked, unlock the pane and check it so it has authorization to read the photos in your Photos library.

Thanks, PhotoLab wasn’t in the list at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Photos, but when I navigated to my photos library inside PhotoLab, a dialog popped up asking if PhotoLab could have permission to access the photos library. At that point, it shows in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Photos, and I can use the “Edit In…” command inside photos to Launch Photolab 3, but it opens as a TIF instead of a RAW… Is there something I’m missing? The image has not yet been edited in photos or another app, which is the limitation on other extensions and sending RAW.

Does DxO have any plans to support the Photos extension functionality, so that a RAW can be sent? Almost all other photo editors I have tried will do this…

but it opens as a TIF instead of a RAW… Is there something I’m missing?

Indeed, that’s the way it works with the ‘Edit in’. Unfortunately, we have no say in what Apple Photos is sending us, so they’re processing it all the time before sending it, which is a shame…
The only way around this would be to find the RAW file inside the Photos library, but it can be tricky: the sorting of photos in there is a bit cumbersome, writing sidecars there might cause problems with your Photos library later on, so it’s not really a walk in the park.

Does DxO have any plans to support the Photos extension functionality, so that a RAW can be sent? Almost all other photo editors I have tried will do this…

As of now, no, it doesn’t act as a Photo Extension. We’re considering it of course, but we have many many things we’re looking into and we have to prioritize, so I can’t say for sure if and when that might come.

To easily find the RAW file without breaking your Applephoto library: use Spotlight …
Just grab the name of the image to process in ApplePhoto (cmd I) and start the spotlight search WITHOUT the file extension.

It would be great to implement such a function … because for the moment the cataloging of PL is perfectible.

On macOS Catalina, You can select the image, then do a “File / Export / Export Unmodified Original…” to a location where you can freely load on Photolab the exported Raw files (I’m using Camera+ on my iPhone to shoot DNG).

1 Like

Another possibility - I wrote an apple script to find the raw version of the currently selected photo. This is useful because the newest version of Photos doesn’t even keep the files sorted by date or even keep the original names any more - it changes the name of the original file to a very long database identifier and scatters them into different folders according to that id. (BTW - if you use an Olympus or other non-Nikon camera you will need to change the “*nef” string to “*orf” or whatever it is your camera uses.)

-- Set this to the directory where your Photos library is stored.
property rootDir : "/Users/michaelheinz/Photos"
set appleDelims to AppleScript's text item delimiters

tell application "Photos"
	try
		set plist to selection
		set p to (item 1 of plist)
		--set pname to filename of p as string
		set c to id of p as string
		set n to name of p as string
		log c
		log n
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"/"}
		set parts to (every text item in c) as list
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to appleDelims
		set pname to item 1 of parts
	on error
		display dialog "No picture selected?" buttons {"Ok"}
		return
	end try
	try
		set commandline to "find \"" & rootDir & "\" -name \"" & pname & "*nef\""
		log commandline
		set fullpathnames to do shell script commandline
		if length of fullpathnames is less than 1 then error
	on error
		display dialog "Could not find a NEF of \"" & n & "\" in \"" & rootDir & "\"" buttons {"Ok"}
		return
	end try
end tell

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "
"

tell application "Finder"
	try
		activate
		set fplist to text items of fullpathnames
		repeat with fp in fplist
			set fname to fp as string
			set fileref to (POSIX file fname as alias)
			set containerref to container of fileref
			select fileref
		end repeat
	on error
		display dialog "Could not open the container holding \"" & fp & "\"" buttons {"Ok"}
		return
	end try
end tell

@porkchop, that’s awesome.
But the fact is, we should not have to do these workarounds.
Photolab should work as a Photos plugin, like almost every other image editor I know of.
DxO even has a Photos plugin in the Apple App Store that does optical correction, Smart Lighting, PRIME NR, and ClearView all as a Photos Plugin, which demonstrates that they know how to do it.
Why can’t they do this with PhotoLab? (Or update the already existing App to duo DeepPrime and other new goodies?)

@allanimal - I absolutely agree. Photos still significantly lags behind iPhoto in functionality - let alone Aperture.

I miss Aperture… I would have abandoned Photos years ago but I need to share the collected libraries with my wife who is non-technical.

Hello,

macOS Photos.app allows me to browse my photo library while using a neat and simple interface, it’s obviously well integrated to the rest of macOS system and has functionalities missing in DxO PhotoLab DAM such as showing photos on a map (for travel photography with a GPS-enabled camera, it’s fantastic) and using AI to search through pictures.
That’s why I use it.

Unfortunately, from Photos.app I cannot click on “Edit in…” and choose DxO.

You’ve already done this integration with other apps, it would be nice to have it for the native macOS photos.app so that I can directly edit from there.

Thanks.

Somehow, duplicate of this thread:

I think this could be an easy and welcome update and a workaround for some DAM requests such as AI keyboarding, viewing on maps based on GPS coordinates, etc.

I can no longer edit the title of this thread, but obviously it now should read:
Make DxO PhotoLab 4 and extension/plugin for macOS Photos.app (instead of v3 of PL)

1. Apologies as there were other threads on the subject:
    The following one dealt partly with the subject towards the end:
    PhotoLab Mac Users : Status on Catalina (formerly Don’t upgrade to CATALINA topic)
    This is the original thread, mine is a duplicate:

2. Within Apple Photos.app, it is already possible to right click on a picture > “Edit in…” > choose DxO PhotoLab 4 in the dropdown menu

3. If DxO PhotoLab 4 does not appear in the dropdown menu

• Go go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Photos, and there grant access to DxO PhotoLab 4 in the app list
  • If DxO PhotoLab 4 is not present in the list, within PhotoLab’s filebrowser, navigate to Apple’s PhotosLibrary folder and it’ll prompt for permission to access PhotosLibrary. At this stage, you can grant access as described above
  1. You have to export back from DxO PhotoLab 4 to PhotosLibrary so that macOS Photo.app sees the result of your modifications. Cumbersome.

2. It’s an even more awful process as Apple does not pass the RAW file to DxO PhotoLab 4 when using the “Edit with…” feature. Worse, I’ve noticed (haven’t read this anywhere on the forum) that the exported file’s EXIF is missing the camera brand/name which means that no lens module can be applied. Duhhh…

3. From all the gathered reading, it seems that the “Edit in…” feature is not the same as making DxO PhotoLab 4 an extension of macOS Photos.app. These are 2 different things and an extension would allow for RAW transfer.
    See this message from DxO staff member @kettch on that subject:
    DxO Photolab 3 as external editor for Apple Photos - #5 by kettch

4. Finally, this thread can be closed and votes can be merged with the original thread:

1 Like