Dxo loses control

I use to make some corrections, for instance in this case I wanted to lighten the people without modifying the rest of the picture.
My mac is not very powerful and it slows down when I add a lot of brush strokes.
After a certain number, DxO is unable to keep the relative position of brush in relation to the image (my translation is probably not very good).
You can see the result here :

It is shifted and unscaled and I must erase all and do it again.
Anybody has experienced the same issue ?

Nota : it would be easier to write in English with the proper words if I could commute application to English !

Adjustments and corrections that change the geometry of the image (stretching, reshaping, rotating, ViewPoint perspective adjustments…) will not also change the geometry of the masks you create using Local Adjustments. You must make all geometrical adjustments first before painting local adjustment masks.

I don’t think the problem is that you added too many brush strokes. Larger masks will show the problem more clearly, though. I hope this helps.

1 Like

I am perfectly aware of that ; on that picture, I have only applied a default preset, THEN one local correction…
It is not the first time I encounter the problem ; when there are too many brush strokes, it happens the same ; the only action I do is to zoom and unzoom to apply more or less fine corrections ; I have a response time problem where DxO recalculates the scale of the image and the mask (complex) and it misses the scaling of the mask.

Oh, I see. May I suggest you provide more information about your computer? Hardware configuration, OS version, graphics hardware and driver version…

MacBook Pro mid 2012 16 Go RAM
SSD for system
SSd for data

I participate to un performance benchmark : on the same picture, my computer was slower than another of same year.
I recently updated to Catalina which did not change anything.

So, I’m looking forward to switch to next generation of ARM Mac !

I work on a similar MBP 17" 2011 16GB RAM 2TB SSD on the road, with Photolab 3 (High Sierra max on that MBP). I have found performance acceptable, at least with the up to 26 MP files. I haven’t tried D850 or 5DSR files on the MBP in a while.

Photolab 4 is quite spritely on Mac Pro 5,1 towers with at least 6 x 3 GHz processors. I’m not looking forward to yet another architecture shift, along with the privacy losses which go with Big Sur and above. I’ll be sticking with those 5,1 Silver Towers and Mojave for a long tiime.

I must add that I have a Sony Alpha 7RIV with 62 MPix pictures.
With Deep Prime, il needs many minutes to process ; happily, il is no frequent…
Without Deep Prime, I run pictures by three to avoid high speed fans.

I have participated…

I have my desktops set to process two images at a time and might have the MBP set to process one image at a time. Simultaneous processing might have been useful with 12 MP files but it’s not a good idea with huge files.

I don’t think you’ll have much luck with those Sony 62 MP files and DxO Photolab on any laptop, including an M1 unless you can get at least 32 GB of memory in there. DxO Photolab was pretty awful with Canon 5DSR files and is better with Nikon D850 files and better still with D810 files so there seems to be some hard barrier where performance gets much worse above 40 MP. In my opinion, Photolab shooters should choose their cameras partially with these barriers in mind.

I’d rather have 36 MP and Photolab on my side running spritely than 60 MP and Photolab lagging. I have up X-Trans cameras to be able to process with Photolab as my images are so much better processed in Photolab and my workflow so much faster. At one point, we all got together and tried to put together a performance thread.

Since export times interest me less than responsiveness of the interface I wasn’t particularly active on the thread. Measuring responsiveness is very difficult to do objectively. My notes above are from using Photolab to process large sports sets with all of those cameras.