DxO is slow on my high spec laptopp ... why?

I have a windows 11 Alienware laptop with the follow key elements - 12th Gen i9-12900 2.5GHz processor, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX3080 16GB, 2TB SSD. I’m no expert but I think this would be considered reasonably high spec. Using PL6, images take around 10 seconds to snap into focus before I can even begin to start editing them, and this time doesn’t reduce if I switch between images. Processing also takes a long time to take effect. In contrast, using Capture One there is ZERO delay in images appearing fully in focus, and editing is also a doddle. Can anyone suggest PL6 or laptop settings that I might try to improve this situation?

not normal.
I have a dell xps 17 inch less well off (i7 8giga ram and rtx 3060) and it’s almost instantaneous most of the time (max 1 to 2sec)
contact dxo support to see where the problem comes from (your computer or photolab)

Is Windows configured to be into high performance mode? On laptops, energy settings in most cases are set on some sort of balanced mode to save energy but that limits the performance.

That’s a good tip, thanks, it was on balanced power usage / performance mode. After switching to just performance it has shaved a few seconds off the time it takes for images to snap into focus after editing, but there is still a delay of around 5 seconds. I have raised the same support request with DxO, so they may also have some suggestions as well. I omitted to say that the majority of my photos are from the Fujifilm GFX100S and so are rather large, but that doesn’t in itself account for the delay I’m still experiencing in comparison to using Capture One on the same laptop.

Have you checked your GPU is enabled and that OpenCL acceleration is enabled too? That may help a little more if they aren’t?

1 Like

Another thought, but is the file size (read) a bottleneck? How large are the files you’re loading, and how fast is your SSD?

I know that compared to old spinning hard drive speeds it will be very fast, but I suspect the files from your camera are also going to be very large too. Just a thought for you to consider…

Thanks. GPU and Open CL are already enabled.

Your screen print also shows maximum casche size at 5000MB, which is the same as mine is set (probably the default). Does anyone know if increasing this would speed up the loading and editing of images?

Don’t know the SSD speed but suspect it’s a pretty decent unit as I spec’d as high as I could get. Again though, whilst file size could be affecting things (GFX raw images are around 130MB), that doesn’t explain why Capture One images load immediately … unless DxO is inheritantly slower due to the way it’s written, but this isn’t really noticeable until you start encountering large file sizes.

1 Like

Do you have this setting checked in Preferences?

I have a GFX 100 test file and it load nearly instantaneously with this setting checked.

Yes I have that option ticked. I’ve tried with and without it ticked and the time it takes for images to snap into focus is the same. Would have expected images to load faster if it was unticked.

If it’s the first time on this laptop, could it be it’s still indexing?
Have a look if pl is busy.

George

1 Like

Not sure I fully understand you. Are you are you referring to the time the images have been on the laptop, and PL6 doisng something in the background while they load? If so, then the images have been loaded on for a few days and PL has been opened for quite a long time.

If pl is new then under certain conditions it will build a database or dop files. That can take some time. Just have a look if pl stays busy when you open it. I don’t remember what setting that where.

George

That option has nothing to do with initial rendering of images in the image viewer. It only has to do with whether the image will be blurred while dragging an adjustment slider or will continue to be rendered in high quality during that action. For better performance, it should be unchecked. But that shouldn’t be necessary on a fast computer.

I think the indexing suggestion is a good idea. I also suggest using Windows Task Manager and its resource monitor to see what else is going on.

I thought dop files were only created once you start editing an image.

Having just opened PL6 again, after an initial rush of blood it is now quiet, and task manager shows it as occupying 22% of the laptop memory, and less than 1% of the CPU. When I edit an image, the memory % remains about the same, but CPU goes up to 3 to 4%, and then settles back to less than 1% again.

Reviewing what I’ve said so far, the delay is not so much in editing, it’s in the time that an image takes to load and snap into focus. If I have 2-3 shots of the same thing and want to quickly decide which to keep before editing, I move back and forth between the images and this takes 5-10 seconds each time I select the image, so to go back and forth, say, three times takes 15-30 seconds … not milliseconds.

Oh well, it was just a guess. :man_shrugging:

Many of us have noticed a slowdown with v6.1.

Ahh - that’s clearer … My system is reasonably fast - but it still takes 2-3 secs to switch between images and see a good-enuff result … which is too slow to make comparisons of different images.

It’s just a matter of PL not being the best tool for comparing and culling different images (because PL is doing a lot of work in processing the RAW file, before you see a rendered image) … Instead, most of us here use something like Fast Raw Viewer, or Irfan, etc, to do this task … and then PL for processing the selected images.

Note: It’s an altogether different matter when comparing different versions of the same image (which PL can do, very quickly, via Virtual Copies) - - but that’s not what you are referring to here.

HtH - John M

On my system a fraction of a second. And I don’t have anything special. How big are your images?
No back ground programs that delays the program?

George

The OP has an extremely high powered system that is performing abominably, specifically with PL - I think the issue is not simply down to choice of tool (though I completely agree with you :grinning:), this is something else I’m sure.

1 Like

Windows/ Nvidia users - could this be related to that studio driver thingy issue that was evident a couple of months ago?