DxO is shortsighted wrt phone camera support

Times have changed. Modern smartphones are misnamed. They are digital Swiss Army knives with hundreds of potential features. One is a built in app that allows users to make phone calls and another app uses built in camera hardware.

Considering that more people seem to use them as cameras than as a phones these days, perhaps they should be renamed smartcameras instead. I use my “smartphone” all the time for a hundred different tasks, but only occasionally to make phone calls and even less often as a camera.

For most, digital tasks, It augments and often replaces my desktop computer. I do some of my banking on my smartphone, I purchase from Amazon on my smartphone, I read the news on my smartphone, I use the GPS from my smartphone, I do measurement conversions on my smartphone, I use it to control other electronic devices, I use it to browse the internet, and I use it to post to various websites as I am going right now. I even use it to read and edit Microsoft Word documents and Excel spreadsheets, although the small screen makes those tasks less than optimal.

The other tasks I use it for are far too numerous to mention. But an extremely minor function for me is using it as a camera. :wink: I mostly use my phone’s camera when shopping in stores, or to capture an image as a memory jogger for later, or occasionally to capture some one-off event that I happen to come across. For all these purposes, straight out of camera HDR JPEG images from my Samsung. Galaxy S21 camera are more than sufficient for my purposes. I would not shoot in raw on my phone even if PhotoLab supported those files. However, I do understand that other people use their phone cameras very differently.

Mark

Not sure who you are arguing with here, if anyone. I’ll not be selling my Leica Q anytime soon if that’s what you think. Austin Mann’s is a demo of the capabilities of an advanced iPhone and ProRaw. Pretty impressive I’d say, and more than good enough for internet use.

1 Like

The original poster made this comment…

This was than talked about again on few posts in the threat implying that somehow the smartphones are good enough as dedicated cameras or good as replacements. I beg the differ. That’s all.

I disagree.

I agree.

A waste of time…you could be taking photos ! :hugs:

2 Likes

Who says I didn’t, hehe. After all that is how I know what I know. By taking a lot of photos. And working with a lot of photos taken by other people. But, yeah, fun discussion. Will DXO support your request? I don’t know. I personally think its not their priority for reasons I listed, although I’m sure DXO team has other reasons we are not aware off as well. In my view, there are more pressing things DXO team could invest their time and money than to support all the smartphone RAW files, but if they do, I won’t complain. I do complain about arguments regarding smartphones being as good as dedicated cameras in terms of image quality. I stand by that.

1 Like

@eriepa, you’re absolutely right. I even shared some careful tests with two iPhone 11 Pro DNG images developed in PhotoLab 5, Iridient Developer and Affinity Photo. The PhotoLab 5 versions were head and shoulders above what the other two programs could manage (I’m expert in PhotoLab and competent in all three).

Here’s the PhotoLab 5 versions for reference.

MSmithy at this point is vandalising this thread, making specious arguments that there’s no point in processing mobile phone photos. I too consider moving to other software to allow me to work on my RAW photos in a single tool. I do not want to have one RAW processor for mobile photos and another for SLR cameras.

1 Like

I find it interesting that the foliage is very dark and/or against a blown out sky in every shot it appears in.

I think a lot of the “amazing photos” posts centre on “photography as art” rather than “the world as art”.

The foliage issue I referred to was a picture of a small lake backed by a steep hillside covered in rich forest. The foliage is the subject. It looks beautiful in person. The phone simply doesn’t cope.

Yes, the phone will be outclassed by dedicated cameras in “certain situations” but I find most situations I want to capture are ones where the phone is outclassed.

If anyone finds the opposite, then I am happy for you and I refer you to the many, many other software products that will let you process those photos. I use PhotoLab because of its selling point of brilliantly decoding Bayer matrices (yes, and X-Trans) of higher end cameras.

1 Like

Like all software companies.

Which is why I despair of the type of thread title here. Request support, but there is no need to besmirch their decision making.

Not sure why you are using me as your “strawman” by taking a snippet of my post out of context. The complete quote follows.

“DxO is stubborn, secretive, and will do as it pleases. So be it. I accept that and, in the meantime, look for workarounds.”

This statement is not besmirching DxO’s business decision. Despair not.

1 Like

Apologies, the besmirching is in the thread title, along with various other posts along the same lines.

The base of all Dxo work is analizing camera+optics combos to create profiles and make average material look good and good material looks great. This is the essence of this software.
Photolab gives digital imagery that do not have good enough lens to resolve sensor resolution the luxury to think it has.(OK, i’m the devil now !)
So without this, there is no need to use it.

I thought you needed a medical license to do that. :crazy_face:

sorry, my english is not good enough to understand the second sens of your response …
Sounds funny anyway …

analizing and analyzing are two very different things for DxO to be doing. :innocent:

ok. This is why i’m more a reader than a writter on forums … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This forum is pushing me to leave DXO frankly. Someone here posts a perfectly reasonable opinion regarding phone support and is questioned in the very first reply. And questioned further by others. I couldn’t read past the first few comments.

Phone support is absolutely important. We all know the benefit of DXO DeepPRIME and how it can substantially improve low light performance with supported raw files.

LR is now challenging DeepPRIME with also excellent noise reduction and I can tell you, if it’s as effective on phone RAWs, they will get people to switch back.

Why do so many people challenge others on their opinions here as if they’re wrong and you’re right?!? I’ve experienced this many times myself here.

It’s really exhausting.

Seriously this forum could be such a better, more welcoming place if we didn’t have to try to show everyone else up and suggest that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Very disappointing.

7 Likes

of course, yes. I forgot the second photolab kisskool effect (doesn’t know if this expression can mean something to not french people - an old funny ad - in the old french touch style (from the last millennium) - style more appreciated in England than in France I have to admit) - anyway yes, I don’t use Ipad and seeing the images of some apple adds saying cinematographic movies are done with ipad ( … ??? … ), I thought they had solved their noise problem …

I fully understand DXO not supporting phones. So many different makes and models. So many formats.

There’s not that many iPhones and many of them share lenses (exact matches for main camera across iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The lack of phone DNG support really annoys me. It’s DxO thumbing their nose at their most loyal users. Higher in the thread, I demonstrated that when PhotoLab does work on iPhone DNG, the results are spectacular.

2 Likes

Yes, but Apple brings a new version out each year. As for Android phones…?