DxO Denoise and Optical Corrections only (Further Edits in DxO PL4 and other Apps)

I have been processing some of my older images with Deep Prime Denoising and then outputting the DNG files with Denoise and Optical Corrections only. I want to do additional edits (e.g., Tone Curve, ClearView) on these images and don’t want these corrections applied again. Is it correct that so long as don’t turn on any of the Detail Adjustments they won’t be applied again and I can save the resulting images to JPEGs without loosing the original corrections? What about other applications (like Capture One Pro) - if I open the DNGs in those applications, will they try to apply their own denoising and lens adjustments?

This is a DNG with camera colorspace and a full free WB. No cutoffs.
Only denoise, CA corrections and such then demosiaced.
It’s a demosiaced rawfile. No loss of colordata.

So refeed them in DxO then there is not applied optical and prime denoise anymore.
Everything else you still can apply for the first time.

Same is as you feed them in an other application.

You win editing time because every change is not provocing optical module software to recalculate.

As per DXO’s @StevenL, when using Export as DNG (Denoise and Optical Corrections only) besides demosaicing, only the following settings are applied if they have been selected.

• Chromatic Aberration
  • Distortion
  • Denoising
  • Lens Sharpness
  • Vignetting
  • Volume Deformation (Only if Viewpoint 3 is installed)

All other edits to your raw files are ignored with this export, including any Clearview or Tone Curve adjustments. …

When editing the resulting exported DNG file in PhotoLab, all those features listed above are deselected with the exception of lens sharpness which is no longer available. You can still select Denoising if you wish, but PRIME and DeepPRIME are greyed out and HQ is set to 0 by default, with fewer options. Auto vignetting and auto distortion are unavailable although you can still apply them manually. You can also select Vignetting and Volume Deformation (if Viewpoint is installed) and adjust them manually if you wish. You can, of course, apply any other edits to the DNG file.

If you want additional edits to your raw files included in your export use Export to DNG (all corrections applied) instead.

With regard to other applications, I think it is up to you to ensure they do not attempt to re-apply adjustments already in your DNG file.

I hope this helps

Mark

3 Likes

@HamsterDR , you can always revisit an image in DPL without intermediate DNG export.

Other apps (C1, Lr…) might show different rendering of colours than what you see in DPL. I found that Lightroom creates different colours with a .dng than with a .tiff file too. I suppose that this depends on what the app sees as “normal” and the colour profiles/spaces used.

Thanks to all of you. When I reopen in DxO PL4 I can see the Detail adjustments are turned off - and that is what I want. I’m not sure about COP 21 - Sharpening is turned off but I have to ask them about Noise Reduction.

Loading 100+ DNG files in COP 21 is slow. When I do this, I really appreciate how DxO puts a lot of the heavy processing at the back-end!

David

In my experience post processing software doesn’t normally apply noise reduction automatically to an image unless you’ve set it up to do that, often with some sort of startup preset.

Mark

Capture One does apply sharpening and noise reduction by default. Settings are per camera. You van turn both off in the detail/lens tab and save as new camera default.

If you don’t your images will look too sharpened and clean.

Lightroom doesn‘t do this automatically.

My knowledge of Capture One is very limited. It is interesting that it does that by default. I certainly would disable that feature If I was a user.

Mark .

They have sensible defaults for each camera. Like DxO when you chose DxO standard workspace.

Yes. You are correct. I forgot about HQ noise reduction selected by default in DXO Standard, It is one of the reasons I use a custom default preset with noise reduction deselected…

Mark

Just curious, Mark: Why would you want NR switched OFF completely ?

John

Hi John,

I actually use DeepPRIME for most of my images, but I want control over when I use it and at what setting. I have my own default preset similar to DXO Standard called Starting Point. One of the ways it differs from DXO Standard is that Denoising shows DeepPRIME rather then HQ as the default NR choice and Denoising is unselected. If I decide I want it, turning it on takes only a second. It is just the way I prefer working.

Mark

1 Like

Again, thanks for the many helpful responses. This is a great user forum!

One additional question. I have been comparing the DxO Processed DNGs files with the original .cr2 files (from a Canon S100 camera from back in 2012). The DxO Deep Prime noise reduction is clearly superior. But, when viewing the .cr2 and the DNG files (via Preview on my iMac Pro) the .cr2 raw file looks “better”. I can see the DNG improved noise reduction, but the raw file looks better! What was happening was the Apple RAW engine was applying a bit of sharpening that really improved the look of the image. My understanding is that the Denoise and Optical Corrections only include an adjustment for lens sharpening. So, if I want to create these DNG files to get the improved Denoise process, should I be applying some increase in the default sharpening also? Or, is that image specific so preprocessing a batch of images with the same settings doesn’t make sense?

David

Are you sure that lens sharpening was set before you exported to DNG? If it was, you can always add more sharpening before you export. Assuming you will be editing these DNG files in some other software you can always add more sharpening in that software. If you plan on doing further editing to the DNG file in PhotoLab, you can use the Unsharp Mask and the MicroContrast slider to add further sharpening.

Mark .

Doesn’t that mean, tho, that you always have a conscious decision to make (plus an extra mouse-click) to activate either HQ or DeepPRIME … as, presumably, you’d never want to have no NR applied (?)

If you had DxO Denoising set ON, with default mode set to HQ - then you’d only need to actively select DeepPRIME if you decided you needed/wanted to … and you’d never forget to apply some sort of NR.

Fair enuff - that’s often the case with me too !

John

Doing this way is just my preference.

Mark

1 Like