Dull images with orange tint

Peter; I forgot;
thanks for the file.
Regards

1 Like

I was just playing with ‘Luminosity 255-0’ file and looks like Highlights slider affects all midtones and also affects shadows in small amount. It’s hard to see on those two jpegs I’ve attached but I can see in DxO when moving Higlights slider that it also affects shadows. I find this somehow strange.
First image: no adjustments

Second image: Highlights slider -60

Play with this image and see the histogram changing.

George

Looks like you can see also in the histogram.
What do you think?
I can see on the photo in DxO when moving Highlights slider - it affects 3rd column from the right and a little also 2nd column from the right. I suppose there are shadows because Shadows slider affects this area.
But for sure it affects all midtones area. It behaves more like Whites slider.

Highlights slider: -100

Highlights slider: +100

1 Like

To offset this, head to the Color Balance adjustment (Cmd/Ctrl+B). To offset an orange tint made by tungsten lighting, shift the Cyan/Red slider to the left and the Yellow/Blue slider to the right until your image looks like it was shot under daylight.

Hi bellia;

Thanks for your contribution to this thread but I don’t have problem with tungsten lighting.

The problem is shadow lifting. Whenever I lift shadows in DxO I get those orange faces and dull image without contrast. This has nothing to do with light. I have lots of photos shot under daylight but when I lift shadows I get orange tint.
As we all somehow discovered in this thread Lightroom adjusts contrast and other things by itself so when I push shadows in Lightroom I don’t have problem with orange faces.
But when I push shadows in DxO I get this orange tint and the image is dull and without contrast. To solve this I have to make some additional settings.
I hope now you understand what this thread is about.

But no worries; I accepted this so I use DxO only for my high ISO images or images done in less demanding conditions – no harsh light and no deep shadows to push – no highlights to restore and no shadows to lift.

For demanding photos made in harsh light (like sun and shadows) I just use Lightroom.

Sorry for the late answer,
yes more people are observing the rather wide reaction of highlight and black and shadow.
That’s why i pointed you to this 0-255 lightnes ladder. By loading this in LR and DxOPL you can discover your problem. (don’t know why the sliders are behaving as they do and or if it’s wrong or not. i am not a Adobe LR photoshop user nor a professional user of editing software.
I take this behaviour as it is and use my “equal correction mode” as default startpoint. (from there i decide if i need more or less texture. (grey spots? less texture, washed out colors? more texture. done by the contrast sliders or vibrance adding,
sometimes i local correct contrast/vibrance with a mask/controlpoint.

it seems that the sliders are overlapping and that if you need to control only highlight you need to counter push the midtones up wile suppressing the highlights forcing the effected area to be smaller.
Again if this is time-consuming or non normal behaviour i can’t tell or value, i am a free time enthousiast and just stop if i am in a need of time for anything else. :slight_smile:

That "orange"effect is this a "color"thing or a “luminance” thing?
what does the channel mixer in filmpack with your skin? (B&W) (this is effecting luminance as i am reading it right and not contrast or saturation.)

As I indicated earlier I can often work around the limitations with local adjustments, However, it certainly would be useful if the global highlights and shadows sliders did not affect the mids as much as they do. Since this has not been addressed to my knowledge by DXO staff, I wonder what the purpose is for this wide overlap.

Mark

I am sure they read this kind of threads so completely unaware they arn’t i think.

But yes it’s interesting to know why they chose this kind of overlapping.
And if it’s working great as equal correction, maybe a checkbox to connect them with each other in first modes.
It’s only when you have filmpack by the way you can use this technique. So maybe it’s more usefull to have a tone slider working as tone and contrast together and with filmpack you have a extra possibility to add or lose extra contrast.
It’s clear that most ex LR users have become custome to a different kind of highlight midtone shadow adjustment.

So indeed the why is interesting.

I also haven’t seen a response from DxO about why Selective Tone operates as it does. There is a votable request to change it here. And a different one here. Hope that helps.

It’s OK.
I will use DxO for high ISO images because of excellent Prime noise and maybe for photos made in light without deep shadows and bright highlights.

Ok Ok no problem..

Egregius;
I was reading those threads from the links you posted and I agree completely about those sliders and highlights recovery in DxO. I have discovered this in DxO Optics Pro (long before Photolab came out).
As I see the majority is still using Lightroom and those who are switching are switching mostly to Capture One.
My personal opinion is:
If DxO is OK with the number of users they have at the moment and don’t see Photolab as Lightroom competition and they do not expect most users will ditch Lightroom and switch to DxO …. they can afford to say: DxO is not Lightroom and we have different philosophy so you take it as it is or go somewhere else.

How I see DxO Photolab?
I see it as different. It’s different philosophy. I don’t know if this is good or bad but as I wrote I thik most Lightroom users are not looking for ‘’different’’. Because this Corona mess I have more time as usually so I play with DxO more then I’m used to and I try to recreate the results like and I can get with Lightroom. As far as I can tell I can get similar results but for more demanding photos I need much more work in DxO as I need to do in Lightroom.

Only time will tell if DxO philosophy is OK and if they should insist. We all know how things stand in photo industry so sooner or later this will also affect software developers and they will need to fight for users more as they used to.