Does PL4 DeepPRIME processing use an eGPU?

Considering adding an eGPU to accelerate DeepPRIME processing on my 2013 Mac Pro. Will this help, or does PL4 only use the built-in GPU?
I bought my 8-core MP for fast PRIME processing, but the GPUs (dual FirePro D500s) aren’t upgradable, and DeepPRIME seems to scale with GPU power, not CPU cores, so I’m looking at eGPUs. Might even sell the MP if my MacBook Pro with an eGPU will outperform it.

Hi there,

eGPU “may work”, but for now we can’t guarantee that it will, especially on the Windows side, where you could face unexpected issues (on Mac you could have better chances to succeed).
We do need to further extend our lab tests before officially supporting eGPUs with DeepPRIME.

If you have the possibility to test an eGPU solution with DeepPRIME, don’t hesitate to share your experience with us.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Thank you.
Steven.

Yes it works (at least on export). You can also command>I on the app icon and check Prefer External GPU.

Repeating here in case someone doesn’t see my answer in another topic.

eGPU on macOS are only officially supported by Apple with Thunderbolt 3. Thunderbolt 2 would need some tricks in the system. So regarding your Mac Pro it’ll likely be hard to get everything working properly with an eGPU.