Does PhotoLab 3 support 30 bit colour?

In other words, you can not see the full extend of your editing work inside PL but you see it by viewing an exported file with a viewer that can display > 8bits per channel.
It’s like editing an AdobeRGB file on an sRGB monitor.
It does not make it’s easier :grimacing:

2 Likes

I must admit it does make it a wast of time pl using the calibration of the monitor if all it can use is srgb. This does need changing very quickly.

3 Likes

Nobody is asking. What is meant with “while it can be > 8 bits inside processing or at export…”. What is PL using for inside processing? If the working color space is AdobeRGB than it’s most likely 16 bits is used.

George

Yes, the working color space is AdobeRGB. There’s another petition in the forum for this to be expanded as well.

2 Likes

This is potentially useless if the display is srgb

Here: Add ProPhoto colour space as a "working color space"

1 Like

Let me put it different. Does >8 mean 16?

George

Genuine 30-bit monitors are widely available at good prices due to HDR support in many games, YouTube, graphics cards, and more. My Benq 32-inch HDR monitor cost $500 Canadian. DXO needs to support!

5 Likes

Yes. 10bits support please!

2 Likes

One year ago already…10bits support? Please?
Anyone with DXO thinking about this?

2 Likes

Same here, please add this 30bit support feature!!!

2 Likes

One year ago since last post in this thread…only silence on 30bit support so far…
Since last weekend working on iMac next to new Eizo CG2700S. Both able to do 30 bit colour (30-bits color (ARGB2101010)…but then…my all time favourite software doesn’t support it! Bummer! Could its be that difficult to implement? I think it’ s a necessity nowadays. Don’ t want to go to Adobe again. There is other software that does support 30bit, but it would be a real pain in the *** to work all this next to PL.
Again…please add 30 bit colour support! I know you can do it.

Agree 100%…even after 2 years…no sign of it yet…
at this moment I feel restricted.

2 Likes

I’ve only just learnt of this limitation. I’ve voted now.

DxO need to address this failing asap, HDR / aRGB monitors are widely available and the default choice of any serious photographer. Heck, even rank amateur like me has one.

1 Like

Right stuck (as I said in another thread).I like PL a lot…but this support really should be added…don’ t do anything with HDR, but also there it seems 10/30bit support is very welcome.
Serious software, like DXO PL,
needs serious capabilities.

More and more are released…iMacs have 30-bits colour (ARGB2101010). Even cheaper monitors can do this. Now where’ s the software that can show/display ?
It seems that Photoshop rules in this department.

As a poster on another website/forum just said (and better than I can):

"…8bit/10bit is viewing bit depth (between your GPU and display). It tells how smooth gradients will be as there will be more colors in 10bit mode because there are no longer 256 gradation steps but 1024.

Another thing is archiving bit depth (document mode). It may be RGB/8, RGB/16, RGB32, etc. It determines how color data will be stored in file when saved.

So we may find ourselves working with RGB/8 document on a 30bit display and we also may work with RGB/16 image on a cheap 6bit+FRC display which is barely reaches 24bit with frame rate control.

As far as I know, Photoshop does support 30bit viewing mode. At least it does on my Mac system. Gradients are much smoother in this mode…"

I just wonder what the use is of a 30bit monitor. From what I’ve read the human vision can distinguish less the 10 million gradations. 30 Bit is over 107 million gradations.

George

It’s actually more than a billion colours.

Best explained on the internet:
30 bit monitor means 10 bits per channel, which is 210 = 1024. That’s 1024 colors per channel, so if we do the math 1024 x 1024 x 1024, that’s a total of 1,073,741,824 colors , which is 64 times more colors than a true color display
My iMac:

• Bit Depth: 30-bits color (ARGB2101010)
    My Eizo:
  • (same)
    It’ s about colour nuances/ gradations being much smoother/ less banding/ more room in shadows/ etc.
    Still from 0-255, but steps in between are much smaller…so much easier to work/ more accurate. And yes…you can see that.
    More hardware (monitors/cables/graphic cards/etc.), can work with those colours, but it’ s no good, if I cannot see them (for editing/printing/etc.) That has to be done by the photo software/application. All part of a proper colour managed workflow.

Yes, 10 times more, 2 to the power 30.
But still the question: can one see it.

George