Dng file format : Samsung Galaxy S8, ... S20 phones

Add support for Samsung Galaxy phone pictures in pro mode, dng raw format.

Generic support for Android DNG images has been in the backlog since at least June 2018, and has been raised multiple times before and since then. I first raised it myself on the old forum, either in early 2016, or at the end of 2015.

Despite being ā€˜under developmentā€™ last March, it seems it still hasnā€™t made it into Version 4. Which is very disappointing.

So, Iā€™m voting in support of your request.

4 Likes

October 2020 this was mentioned.

Is it so difficult to generate a fix DxO?

Yony

2 Likes

Add my voteā€¦

1 Like

Request DxO PhotoLab support dng format of Samsung Galaxy smartphone series (or any other Samsung product that allows taking a raw image).
DxO currently only supports Apple which at one time was a logical choice. However, Samsung has gained considerable market share since that time and is especially focused on camera capability. To be clear, Apple still dominates the smartphone market with 50% vs. 24% as of Q3 2022. However, Samsung has a market share (in shipments) of 27.14% in 2023, neck and neck with Apple. In addition, " Adobe and Samsung have banded together to ease the difficulties of advanced smartphone photography on Samsungā€™s new [Galaxy S23, S23 Plus] The smartphones will exclusively use Adobeā€™s Lightroom software to handle the raw-format photos that pros and enthusiasts prefer." Apple and Samsung have won the smartphone war and is appropriate to add support for the Galaxy line to DxO.

4 Likes

And also for Google Pixel phones and Sony XPERIA phones, please.

1 Like

DxO doesnā€™t support Apple products anymore, they stopped at the iphone X which was released more than 5 years ago.

It seems that they doesnā€™t want to support smartphones anymore, which is a shame for people who use smartphones as a backup camera, and who wants to use the same software to process all their pictures.

3 Likes

Even allowing DNG for basic editing, as jpg, would be better than the stupid position of having to use a second program to create a jpg

2 Likes

All I can report is that I have an Apple dng and it opens fine. Nada for any other. Since that one file was a test (meaning I didnā€™t have any Apple files before and donā€™t use iPhone or any other for that matter; used my wifeā€™s Samsung which led to this rabbit hole). The test was done with an open PL. Today, firing up PL 6.3 fresh, I got this:

Have no idea how many, if any, others might show up and have no idea of the validity of any of it; all we can do is hope they change their minds about support.

1 Like

Yes but itā€™s an iphone 8, so an old one.
New iphones are not supported anymore.

I have an iphone 12 pro, no dxo for meā€¦

Yikes! My bad for sure. Didnā€™t realize how old my sample was. Sorry for the bum lead. Thanks for bringing the post up to currency. Also, if Iā€™d read the supported cameras page Iā€™d found X was the last one supported - duh.

Request DxO PhotoLab support raw format of Apple and Samsung Galaxy smartphone series that allows taking a raw image.
Apple dominates the smartphone market with 50% vs. 24% as of Q3 2022. However, Samsung has a market share (in shipments) of 27.14% in 2023, neck and neck with Apple and is especially focused on camera capability. In addition, " Adobe and Samsung have banded together to ease the difficulties of processing images from advanced smartphone photography on Samsungā€™s new [Galaxy S23, S23 Plus] The smartphones will exclusively use Adobeā€™s Lightroom software to handle the raw-format photos that pros and enthusiasts prefer." Apple and Samsung have won the smartphone war and is appropriate to add support for them in DxO.

1 Like

Apples global market share of the smartphone market is 24.1% (as claimed by Apple in 2023) and Samsung at 19.4%. This also includes all the current variations and models, many having different lenses and processors within their range. Not sure the war is ever over in the tech world.

Second point is:

Does this mean they are going to hobble the phones so they will only work with Adobe?(Genuine question. Seems a very weird thing for them to claim otherwise).

I would like some form of dng support in DxO (hell, even if it means manual lens corrections)

I use a pixel phone, btw (no point in even publishing their market share!)

2 Likes

Good morning,

I donā€™t know how often we asked for such a solution. Opening a DNG file which is not supported by DXO directly could bring a message, or a message and special symbol for the thumbnailsā€¦orā€¦or
The only thing the most people want is working for all their photos with the same tool, for this case DXO. undepende if it is orf, nef, arwā€¦, DNG, TIFF, JPEG, HEIF, PNGā€¦

Hope dies last

Good start into the week

Guenter

1 Like

Phone DNG have embedded optical correction profile, and the data is sometimes even demosaiced (thatā€™s the case with Apple ProRaw for instance)

The problem I think is that with dxo itā€™s either all or nothing, but there should be an ā€œintermediateā€ state where you can just process your files even without the full dxo science.

6 Likes

Just as you can with jpg!

@ tilltheendofeternity Best I can find is this: " Once you take a photo using [Samsungā€™s Expert Raw camera app] you can open them directly in Lightroom with one tap, the companies said.

Although Lightroom wonā€™t be preinstalled on the phones, a prompt will encourage people to install it, after which Lightroom will be the default raw photo editor, Adobe photography marketing chief Stephen Baloglu said. The phone version of Lightroom can be used for free, but a [$10 per month subscription] opens up some premium features and synchronizes photos with laptops. The Samsung phones will come with a two-month free Lightroom trial." OK, great. Now what? Apparently this: " If you want to get started with Expert RAW, it can be [downloaded from Samsungā€™s Galaxy Store]free of charge. Itā€™s not available from Google Play, so youā€™ll need to sign up for a Samsung account to get it. Furthermore, only a small selection of Samsung handsets currently support the app, specifically a handful of flagship Galaxy smartphones released after 2020." So it sounds like a bit of a cobble: put Expert Raw on phone, shoot, and a phone version of LR can be used to process it.
Relevant links:
Galaxy S23 Phones Get Adobeā€™s Pro-Level Lightroom Photo Editing Tool - CNET
What can Samsungā€™s Expert RAW app do for your photography? (androidauthority.com)

1 Like

I use snapseed on my samsung s20fe

Thanks - had not heard of it so good to know and it looks pretty good too.

And don`t forget google pixel phones which win nearly every smartphone camera comparison ā€¦ I would be very happy to see a DNG support

2 Likes