Display DNG Images

I am new to PL3

I come across this request today and I will definitely upvote for PL being able to display DNG files.

I am doing astrophotography with CCD camera and take data in FITS format that a process with dedicated software (mainly to stack exposure together) . I finally convert the resulting image in DNG for further process in image processing software dedicated to photography (For tool that are not available in astrophoto software). I am a bit disappointed that all DNG files are not read by DXO. I did try to use TIFF format instead of DNG but was very disappointed by the image and colour quality when converted in TIFF.

1 Like

The DNG you are creating is effectively a TIF in a DNG container. That means the white point has not been set and any program you open the file with will treat it like a raw file and apply its own initial white point. When you create a TIF you adjust the white point etc to your required values and save as TIF.

Wiliam, If you’re viewing your exported TIFF images on-screen, check that you’re exporting with ICC Profile set to sRBG (and not AdobeRBG) - as that may be the cause of disappointing colour quality.

John M

Citation Wiliam, If you’re viewing your exported TIFF images on-screen, check that you’re exporting with ICC Profile set to sRBG (and not AdobeRBG) - as that may be the cause of disappointing colour quality.

John,

Thanks for the advice. However, the software I am using to stack astro-exposure does not allows me to select an ICC profile (only the format 8-bit or 16-bit). However, the main issue I encountered with FITS toTIFF conversion concern the histograms. It seems that when converting to TIFF my setup for the black point and white point are not propagated to the TIFF file and images appears “black”. In DXO PL, Lightroom or Photoshop, I have to set Exposure compensation, Highlight, Shadow and White to the maximum to be able to see something. And, usually, doing so, does not allows me to get an image of the same quality as what I see when looking directly at the data in the FITS files.

I probably should try an other software for the image conversion.

It’s quite possible that I’m completely missing the point, William (as I don’t know/understand what “FITS” is or does) - - but, I was assuming you were referring to the quality of a TIFF file you had exported from PhotoLab; where PL allows you to choose the ICC Profile exported with the image.

Regards, John M

Just an observation:

10 votes and a year old.
This should be in the list of development by now or not?

I think with PL4 this item is closed, or isn’t it?

Correct, it is closed. DPL for can read DNG of it’s own making

1 Like