Disaster recovery procedure - Paths in .dop files

Hi,

With that title I am wondering if you ever had a system crash and had to reinstall your Mac from scratch ?

I saw in the .dop files that the full path to my ICC profile and the full path to the watermark file (if you choose a .png for example) is saved.
The other day I did setup my new Mac from the ground up. For me it is a good practice and also a training for the day a disaster happens :grimacing:

So the question is:
How do you “repair” the paths from the .dop files when it has changed ?
If I move around my files for watermarking or ICC profiles, on purpose or not, PL can not find them and there is no error message. So…

After my clean setup I did put back the ICC profiles where it belongs here: /Library/ColorSync
I initially wanted to have them in a different folder. Anyway it is okay.

Now, where do you put your watermark files ?
For a future version: why not saving the name of a watermark.preset in the .dop file instead of a full path and set of settings ?

Well, I will find a solution when it happens but how do you do that or think about that ?

I do this

• always keep a bunch of bootable clones, specially before doing a clean install.
    I use Carbon Copy Cloner (check out the CCC blog)
  • put copies of the .dcp profiles I use in a folder in /Library/Application Support/DxO Labs/

(watermark images can go here too, unless you want to keep them in your picture folder)
  • leave the rest where DxO puts it in the first place

DPL does remember where you last picked a color profile from, but it does not ease navigation at all. Putting the profiles in one folder helps tremendously. Putting that folder below /Library (not in the home folder) helps use the profiles from all accounts installed on the Mac (I use std., admin. and test user accounts)

For clean installing (e.g. a new version of macOS) I’d go this route:

• make a few clones and test if they boot up
  • update one clone and boot from it (not necessary if you stay with your current OS version)
  • clean install the new OS using a bootable installer
  • boot from the freshly installed OS
  • copy back things I need or want
  • keep the clones for fallback

There are a few things to consider: Getting back keychain entries and Apple Mail take extra effort. You might also want to check your licensing conditions before doing a clean install. Updating a clone puts things where they belong: drive layouts differ between Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur.

Top to bottom: Internal (Mojave) drive, Big Sur Beta drive (highlighted) and Catalina test drive
Notes: During tests, I often first set up an installation volume for the bootable installer and a volume for the clone. Installation volume needs to be HFS+, while the clone volume format depends on what you clone.
I use SSD drives here, HDD should work too.

1 Like