Disable update screen at startup?

Is there any way to keep the software from asking me to update when I first start it? I am using the plugin for Photoshop and 50% of the time it crashes photoshop because it is in a window that I can’t see or hit the update later button. Very frustrating when the update is a paid update as well and I just want to process a photo quickly! Thanks -Eric

3 Likes

I’ve asked for that before, yes it is really frustrating, more than annoying.
Best way around is open one of the Nik stand alone eg: color efex before you start any editing. I’m now doing that every morning when unlocking my computer.

I’d like to know which file to open and replace the code that look for updates.

this was the last I made:

Sounds like an option such as “Don’t ask me again” might be a simple solution … @StevenL

John M

1 Like

If you are on Mac, you can install Little Snitch and disable connections to the update server. It’s possible to turn them on when you want to check for updates. I recommend this as it’s faster than waiting for help from DxO. Little Snitch comes in very handy with all kinds of nosy developers and developers who don’t allow a user to disable update checking (fortunately still a minority).

1 Like

Wouldn’t that leave Nik in a loop for searching and preventing it from actually starting?

Of course not. If a computer is offline, software should still be able to start up. If DxO has taken steps to ensure we can’t use our computers offline, they’d leapfrog even Adobe in user-abuse.

1 Like

This was happening to me also and it finally became so aggravating that I hunted down a solution. Here’s what I’ve done to fix it on a Mac.

You will need to have root privileges to do this. I did this in Terminal from the command-line as well, I’m not sure if you can edit system Library files from Finder with root privileges.

I located the DxO configuration file in the /Library/Preferences/DxO/Nik Collection directory - it’s called NikCollection.cfg. Full pathname /Library/Preferences/DxO/Nik Collection/NikCollection.cfg

Best to make a backup of this before changing it. I copied it off to another filename.

Edit the NikCollection.cfg file which is in XML format. Locate the entry “Checkforupdate” followed by a string with key name=“LastCheck” and a value=[some long number]. The long number is a date in Unix seconds-since-epoch; mine (1624306007) means DxO checked for update on Mon Jun 21 13:06:47 PDT 2021. Using your editor, change the long number to something much larger - I changed the leading 1 to be a 2 (“2624306007”, or Thu Feb 27 13:53:27 PST 2053). This means that Nik won’t check for an update again until sometime in 2053.

If you’re not used to command-line and root privileges, here’s a starting point. This isn’t meant to be a Unix tutorial and YMMV:

Open Terminal
From the command line, enter
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/DxO/Nik Collection/NikCollection.cfg
enter your password

You should have the file open, you can make changes to it, save it and exit.

5 Likes

Thanx for the hint, it works also for Windows.
The file to edit is C:\ProgramData\DxO\Nik Collection\NikCollection.cfg

Regards Markus
3 Likes

hi there that all opens for me but everything in the terminal is white and i see no text

it is getting annoying, why can’t there be an option to turn on/off check for update on startup? seriously DxO. since the release of V4 its been asking over and over and over every day. there was no reason to update to v3 because i already have viewpoint and filmpack, now with v4, only 2 app out of 7.

2 Likes

You’re right, Mike, this should be fixed. On the other hand, you have access to John’s excellent solution of changing the last checked date. I’m concerned about Nik users who don’t know about this forum or have not found this post.

Yep, I’m about to do his little trick, I can see this coming up for every next update of the collection, like 2-3 more to get all 7?

On Mac, it’s possible to install Little Snitch and block all update checks. The only issue is to still be able to get camera/lens profile downloads. I believe the camera/lens profile are on a separate server though.

Little Snitch is generally a very useful program for users who would like to control what servers any given program is allowed to talk to and when. I guarantee you will be surprised (and horrified) at how much of your private data your applications want to share.

You are a life saver man!