Disable lightroom color processing madness & DXO Dng

Maybe someone can help me understand this before I give up on LR. I process my raw pictures in DXO and my pictures looks great in DXO. I run the export to DNG, import it in Lightroom and there, it does look different. The color rendering is slightly different and looks more pale however, I have all my development stages disabled. This has been driving me crazy, I thought I had found a setting to disable all processing but NO, there are still differences.

I did try is opening the same dng in Windows photos, ACDSee, Zoner and in these 3 programs, the photo does look the same as DXO.

Another LR mystery is for me the “process” as part of the camera calibration. Even with all stages disabled, and profile shows “Embedded”, switching from 2003, 2010, 2012 makes a difference. WHY IS THAT? Doesn’t make any sense to me - there shouldn’t be any processing.

Before I give up on lightroom, does someone understand how to get a neutral rendering there? I understand that this doesn’t really mean anything for a raw picture but for a DNG, there shouldn’t be 100 of ways to render a plain file.

Erik.

Well, I never use DNG. They say it is a standardized RAW format, so…

If you want to make sure color rendering is taken over from PhotoLab, why don’t you use 16bit TIFF for export?

Have a look here: https://feedback.dxo.com/t/export-to-lightroom-kills-reds/1455/6
DXO creates a “LInear DNG”

Wow - I guess this might explain it. I thought DNG would be a superior format and its file size is smaller than TIFF 16 bit, plus holds metadata. It is quite surprising that DXO does not re-code the color information in these files, I assumed the whole time that it was the case.

Well, in this case, I’m going to export my photos to TIFF from now on (too bad there is no compression option for the 16 bit format)…

Thanks

Erik.

Yes, this is known and documented
https://www.dxo.com/project/workflow-dxo-photolab-lightroom/
See chapter 4

Pascal

Use the same DCP camera profile in PhotoLab2 as in Lightroom. Also, don’t apply colour and tone corrections in PL2, only white balance, camera profile (e.g. Adobe Standard DCP), lens corrections, NR and sharpening. When opening the DNG in Lr, disable lens corrections, NR and sharpening if you did those in PL2. Do your colour and tonal tweaks in Lr. The advantage of this method over tiff is that you’ll get to process your debayered, linear raw file in the ProPhoto RGB working space of Lr, instead of the Adobe RGB working space of PhotoLab.

Doesn’t Lr color profile run Melissa RGB and not ProPhoto?

From Martin Evening’s book on Lr:

Although it isn’t officially named as such, I tend to call the Lr edit space Lightroom RGB. Mark Hamburg had suggested it might be more appropriate to call it “bastardized RGB” since the space is using ProPhoto RGB chromacities, but with a gamma of 1.0 instead of 1.8. Meanwhile, the Lr viewing space [emphasis mine] uses the same ProPhoto RGB chromacities but with an sRGB tone response curve.

That viewing space is sometimes referred to as Melissa RGB.

2 Likes