Different versions of Windows to Mac

Hello, i bought a mac book pro and now a lots are different.
Why the DXO version on Windows 10 is 5.1.2. Build 4700 and on the Mac 5.1.1. Build 52.?

Tnx and wish you all a good start in 2022

PhotoLab versions for Windows and macOS are developed separately and each development team uses a separate system to manage builds. Consequentially, build numbers can be different. Moreover, some differences between the Mac and Win versions of DPL exist, some of which are discussed in other threads that you can find when you search the forum for “differences win mac”.

Moin Platypus,

is there any version history list anywhere at the DXO website?
I’m not sure if we discussed it during the last month’s.

the only one is https://support.dxo.com/hc/de/categories/360003943351-DxO-PhotoLab and you will find the version 5.1.1 under Mac, but no information which build is actual

thanks

@Guenterm, version history does not mention the build numbers, neither for the Mac nor the Win releases. Too bad, but we can’t help it. Normally, build numbers are meant for development rather than for users. I guess we’ll have to live with whatever DxO does in this respect.

Differences between Mac and Win versions of DPL: The thread started by @Franky and yours contain about 40 posts each. Other posts exist, but are difficult to track. A shared document would be easier to handle.

2 Likes

Thanks platypus,

I did suspect they were using 2 different teams. One for Mac and one for windows. What a waste of facilities, money, and support. Most development software i.e. visual studio and Embarcadero are quite capable of interchangeable code. This would also stop the vast differences between the 2 systems. Unbelievable.

Prem.

2 Likes

I was on something called TeamB for Borland/Inprise/Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero, having worked with everything they did from Borland C++ 3.1, through Delphi and the aborted Kylix (which was supposed to enable Linux development).

Then they decided to support multi-platform, single designer UIs. What an unmitigated mess that was/is. Once again, it has this “uncanny valley” feel to it, where things don’t feel quite right on any platform.

Nope, totally believable and I am eternally thankful that DxO had the common sense not to go down that road.

3 Likes

Hi Joanna,

Sorry but I cannot really agree with you. Having run my own company for 23 years before retiring. I had to make sure I was making enough profit to pay my employees and myself, with enough money left over for any required new machinery and necessary repairs. To me, paying out twice for similar code is taking up assets.

As far as computers and coding is concerned. My first computer was called a packet communicator and they called it paccom for short. It was all hexadecimal, including the coding. If my 83 year old memory serves me right, that would be about the mid-50s. I then got involved with USCD Pascal and the Texas 9000 series chipset. The 2nd consumer computer (which was going to be) got sold off to a company in Southampton and became the cortex. I eventually bought and AT compatible and got myself a copy of Turbo Pascal (what a revelation after USCD Pascal), then progressed to Delphi only programming for myself as a radio amateur. As far as computers are concerned. I always build my own.

On my photography side. I started with my mums 6 x 7 box camera and contact printing in 1952. Realised its limitations and bought an Agfa Supersilet. Soon realised its limitations and progressed to a Pentax S1a plus a 90 mm Schatz lens. did regret not buying the Nikon F1 and no extra lens though. I then went on to a Mamiya thousand DTL. The spot metering of that was a useful addition to my metering the back of my hand as long as it was in the same lighting conditions as the subject. My last film camera was the Minolta 7000I. I still use its 24–85 3.5/4.5 Minolta lens + the 75-300 4.5/5.6D Minolta lens along with a Sony Zeiss 2.8 24-70 lens on my Sony a99. As far as taking pictures are concerned. I am like you. Get it right in camera and in the old days. Less work in the darkroom. Nowadays, less work in the post process. To me, Optix Pro and now PhotoLab are the nearest thing to a darkroom, but that doesn’t mean to say there is no room for improvement.

@platypus
Thank you :+1: