Differences Win / Mac

It’s the same on windows, and that is one reason why I don’t use this option.

And if yo switch off one active tool the only choice to get it back is “Edit undo” or the steps you described.

When using the search function any of the buttons selected act like filters. As you point out to search everything you need to keep all the buttons deselected. However, I think the Smart Workspace has a lot of unrealized potential. Hopefully DxO will eventually get around to upgrading it

Mark

Hi,

What if we helped DxO identify the differences between Win and Mac ?

Not present in Win

• Add items on palets with icon at the extreme right in the title bar
  • Rename virtual copie
  • The brush floating panel for repair tool
  • The brush floating panel for local settings
  • The check box for “disable automatic update checking”
  • The Advanced History is not saved after relaunch
  • A compare tool, before and after images together with slider in customize tab
  • Be able to move pallets between other pallets and not just after
  • The option grid color
  • Adjustments with up / down arrows for local adjustements
  • Not status of optics module
  • The switch to display only active tools (blue on Mac, gray on PC)

Not present in Mac

• Delete icon on thumbnail
  • Image status information on thumbnail - Image correction has been modified after export
  • A compare tool, images side by side
  • Can’t set database location in preferences
  • Can’t create, rename and open a folder

Please tell me what you found as a difference, I will update the list, thanks

2 Likes

Most E lenses for Sony A cameras no longer use the distance correction for lenses in Windows version (they used to) but do in the Mac version.

@StevenL let’s make a status on these next week.

Hi friends,

you can add New bug in 5.4.0 - Mouse wheel deselects local adjustment - #7 by Tilmann to the list of DIFFERENCE :scream:

Hi,

Not present in Win

• Rename virtual copie
  • The option grid color

Not present in Mac

• Image status information on thumbnail - Image correction has been modified after export

3 Likes

Still the difference between Mac and Windows with E lenses distance correction.

“The Focal Distance and Focus Distance sliders are permanently displayed in the Mac version, and appear
automatically in the PC version.”
and
There is no distance reading on E lenses so no correction.

Ist’s correct ?

When it worked in earlier PL versions there is no distance option, now you get it to manually do the correction. I was told by when I raised this here it worked with automatic correction on the Mac so that had no correction option needed as it correected for distance.
Joanna used one of my images and found “From what I can find, specifying the focal distance is only possible when it is not available from the EXIF in the RAW file, which in this case it is. And the lens is supported because I am able to download the module and get automatic corrections.”

Hi,

Not present in Win

• Rename virtual copie
  • The option grid color
  • Focal Distance and Focus Distance sliders are automatically displayed
  • There is no distance reading on E lenses

Not present in Mac

• Focal Distance and Focus Distance sliders are permanently displayed

2 Likes

Frank,
Thanks for pulling this together, and hopefully DxO will be looking to reduce the size of the list - although recent experience has been that sometimes a new feature adds yet another difference! I guess it’s hard for many of us to do a direct comparison if we only have access to one or other flavour of PL. I usually notice a difference when I’m reading a thread on the MAC side of the forum and think “PL doesn’t do that for me” (on Windows). Anyway good luck with this, and in time your custodian of the list role may even become redundant.

1 Like

Great list Franky. Thanks for your hard work outlining the differences.

The switch to display only active tools is available now on Mac (just noticed it for the first time today.

For those not using Windows, it helps to see what the Windows users have access to which we don’t. The compare tool will be great when it comes to Mac. I like the renaming functions as well.

Alec,

The advantage in features is strictly on the Mac side. Despite several responses from DxO on this issue, precious few of these differences have been addressed. In fact, the differences between the two versions has actually grown in the last two versions.

Two important features implemented in PL4 and PL5 never made it to the Windows version. Renaming virtual copies was an undocumented addition to the Mac version of PhotoLab 5, but not in Windows. Additionally, Windows users are still waiting to be able to save the Advanced History entries across editing sessions.

The only significant difference between the two version that I can recall being addressed in recent years is the zoom level. While the Mac version supported zooms to 1600%, the Windows version was limited to 400% That was corrected in either PL4 or PL5. That was a very important improvement because it allows Windows users to apply repair/clone masks and local adjustment masks much more precisely.

Mark

1 Like

I have a number of programs that have, amongst in some cases a much widener range of operating systems, Mac and Windows. Ranging from Photo Supreme and Affinity and non-photography ones like Syncovery. The first two maintain both Windows and Mac as far as I can tell virtually the same. Syncovery being a very small (one person firm) takes time to bring a very wide range of operating systems in to near uniformity. Only DxO appears to be widening the difference’s which makes learning its use very difficult (not least the poor manuals) as to all the online tutorials I have looked at were using the Mac version.
With the issue I have and keep raising the loss of focusing distance for the E lenses in the Windows version I fail to understand how the problem we were told that existed leads to removing it in one version but the other it either didn’t exist or a way round was found. To me most of these differences are really mystifying when other programs of similar or even more complexity can produce near identical version’s in Mac and Windows.

1 Like

Some differences between Mac and Windows are coming from the various architectures. “Intelligent folders” i.e. as a dynamically updating search for various combinations of properties, metadata or names are impossible in Windows until today. But I fully agree with you @John7 that some differences in wording, menu structures, functionality simply lack of a reason for being different in both worlds.

If Affinity could produce a true to the original Windows version of there original Mac one I fail to see why this is getting worse. In my E case they sneaked the Windows removel out without telling any one and why the Mac can read the lense data but the Windows can’t is beyond me. Sorry to go on I just spent a long processing time trying to work out a lot of focus distances and it’s amazing the difference they can make at times so I am a bit annoyed about it again.

1 Like

Me too. Btw., in Aperture I had intelligent folders for certain fast lenses, called “wide open, close distance” as Aperture also could read the distances in RAW files (at least from Nikon NEF). Plus the aperture range from f/1.4 to f/2.8. Neither C1 nor PL offer a filter for distances anymore, I thought. Will have a look into my Mac version of PL.

Dear John,
I’m beginning to feel like an itinerant preacher, since the comparison of Affinity/DXO - Win/Mac has often been made by me.

Hope never dies

Nice weekend to all

1 Like

Whatever the differences might be and whatever caused them, the important thing imo is, that advertised features work close to identically on both platforms…

1 Like