Differences between WIN -MAC DPL4

I just raised a ticket with support asking when there will be feature parity between Mac and Win versions (I was interested in export jpg rescaling options, Win has only longest edge option, Mac has more which are needed by me). They replied there are no such plans but passed this “suggestion” to dev team after I requested that.

This should not be a “suggestion” passed by paying customers but a task on their roadmap, soon.

Did you post a generic question about feature parity or did you refer to one or more specific differences?. A number of specific differences between the Mac and Windows versions are in the roadmap, some of which may even be implemented in PL4.

Mark

1 Like

The question was about export rescaling options as I mentioned. Win version has limited capabilities there comparing to Mac. I was told it’s not on their radar but now supposedly they’ve added this as well.

Can you post where I can see what’s in the roadmap for feature parity between Mac/Win?

Bottom line is - we should not be even asking for this… This should be a standard that both compilations of the same program in the same version should have identical features (if not limited by underlying OS).

There is no formal roadmap available to users. Everything I know is based on what I’ve read and discussed on this forum with others, including DXO staff, over the last 3 years.

Mark

Dear @StevenL,

didn’t know if this difference is still at your todo list.
Watching this webinar by Dan Hughes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bW5BtL9-aQ starting at 18:43 Dan shows how to create and fill a user defined palette. In Mac there is a what Dan called “sandwich Menue” where you are able to add the items very easy to your new palette. In windows you haven’t this and you must drag and drop from the available standard palettes
palettes in MacOS

palettes in Windows

many thanks

Guenterm

I had already made this remark here.
It would be really useful and much easier

1 Like

Dear @Franky,

well done…hope christmas is coming soon with some improvements in user interface…I was well-behaved the whole year :christmas_island: :christmas_tree: :santa:

1 Like

We’ll have to check that with the forum fairies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi Joanna

did you mean the forum fairies or the forum fary tales :rofl:

warm greetings from Guenter

1 Like

Hi @Guenterm,
Yes, this is the biggest problem when you have “different implementations”: learning resources teach you “less” because each platform behaves differently.

This is the NUMBER ONE issue for me (and for you). Each tutorial, video, manual and so on, should be universal for both Win&Mac users, only the classical “ctrl-cmd” key switch should be the allowed difference.
As said before we have already started a process in which we track down those ‘variations’ to fix them.
It’s not going to be made overnight, but it’s a constant background task for us.

Please, don’t hesitate to post on our forums all the discrepancies that you find out with your comments/considerations.

Thanks.
Steven.

6 Likes

Hi @StevenL,

Apparently the number of variations is increasing. The new Advanced History is a good example of that since the Windows version does not have a Clear History feature or the ability to to keep the Advanced History list across sessions.

Many of the differences between the two versions are mostly cosmetic but some have a negative impact on the Windows workflow.

One example of this is the maximum zoom amount which I have mentioned elsewhere.The maximum zoom in Windows is only 400% and it Is 1600% in the Mac version. For some the zoom amount may be irrelevant, but for those of us who use Local Adjustments and Clone/Repair masks extensively it can be a real issue. The inability to zoom beyond 400% often makes precise masking much more difficult especially for small areas or tight against hard edges. I understand that this limitation may be a result of the current Windows viewer. I hope the zoom percentage difference can be addressed while still maintaining the same high quality results in the viewer.

Mark

2 Likes

Hi @mwsilvers,

Thanks for your feedback!

Differences between mac & win are not growing, I can guarantee it to you :wink:

There is a difference between real discrepancies and features/functions not yet available on both platforms. For instance, you mention the issue with the Advanced History: this is not a discrepancy but a feature that has a slightly different deployment schedule on each platform.

To be clear, even if we try to iron out as much as possible such ‘delays’, sometimes is just impossible to have the same timeline, this is due to many reasons (e.g. bugs found on one platform that need a hot fix, platform differences that force us to solve the problem differently needing more development time on one platform compared to the other, and so on…).

Of course, as a user you may feel at a disadvantage sometime, when you make a full mirror comparison between mac & win. Sometimes you have a bit more, sometimes you are left with a bit less.

BTW, the history issue that you have pointed out, it’s already scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update.

Steven.

I understand @StevenL.

Many of us already knew that DXO’s goal is to get feature parity between the two versions.

I know that you and the team would like the two versions to be as identical as possible, and would do it immediately if it was as easy as just throwing a switch.

The reason for my post was primarily to remind you of our continued patience and loyalty and encourage DXO to speed up that process a bit so that we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Many of the differences between the versions have existed for a long time. We really haven’t seen any significant movement, that I am aware of, towards implementing those differences in the Windows version.

Mark

4 Likes

I perfectly understand your point of view, and probably the last few years haven’t proven the contrary…but since a little more than a year, things (and mentality) are moving in the right direction, toward this platform parity… I’m not saying this because I’m biased, but because this is a tangible thing.

Steven.

2 Likes

I understand Steven, but even the most patient of us will eventually expect to see some changes to back up your words.

Mark

1 Like

A good start would be to not release new features with Mac/Windows differences, which seems to exactly what has happened with history. You’re going to lose the battle if you keep introducing new differences.

2 Likes

Suggestion…read the whole thread and jump to Differences Win / Mac - DxO PhotoLab - DxO Forums
:sunglasses:

As someone who’s now dabbling in Windows (to make better use of existing hardware), the way workspaces are constructed is a major difference in PL4.

On Mac you select the tools to populate a palette with from a drop-down list. On Windows you have to drag tools from existing palettes, which is much clumsier: you need an existing (typically builtin) palette to drag from for starters.

Some tools on Mac are builtin palettes on Windows - Histogram and Move/Zoom for two - so not everything is a tool that can be assigned to a palette.

On Mac you can arrange palettes the way you like by dragging, on Windows you seem only to be able to drag a palette to the bottom of a panel, which is more tedious.

I don’t know if anything has changed in PL5.

Not in this regard.

Database Location

• WIN: Can set location in preferences
  • MAC: Cannot set location