Delete file in photolibrary (Win)

3 keystrokes is absurd.

Win Explorer accepts one. Can we have the same, or at least the option?

I can think of 4 different ways to delete an image from within PL, Ziggy … (Assuming it’s the currently displayed image … but, if not, then you first need to highlight the image to be deleted in the Image Browser);

1. Click on the Image menu => Click on Remove => Confirm “Yes”.

2. Enter Shift+Del => Confirm “Yes”.

3. Right-click the image => Click on Remove => Confirm “Yes”.

4. Click on the Remove button on the image in the Image Browser (assuming you have this option enabled - I don’t) => Confirm “Yes”.

How would you suggest this be simplified, while protecting against inadvertent deletion ?

John M

1 Like

There’s a little key on the top right of the keyboard marked Delete.
In 40 years of typing I’ve yet to hit it accidentally.
I don’t need or want 3 keystrokes (that require both hands) when one will do.

1 Like

I don’t know about your keyboard, (probably a laptop) but on my full sized desktop keyboard I have two delete keys. One of them in the extreme bottom right of the numeric/cursor keypad next to the Enter key. The other is under the insert key and to the left of the end key in the middle of the right side of the keyboard. I was an IT person for 35 years and hit both of those delete keys accidently on countless occasions. It was never a problem because I also have things set to confirm deletions. If you want the option to delete without confirmation, I can’t argue with your preferences, but I have always believed that is a dangerous feature and would not recommend it. .

Mark

2 Likes

Absolument !

The default delete state in Picasa requires a confirmation. However, there’s an option to “Delete from disk without confirmation” in the Tools<Options menu. Select in the image browser, press Delete. Simple and fast when you’re culling a large folder. And, if you make a mistake, it’s in the Recycle folder.

The fact that you can restore a mistakenly deleted file from the recycle bin does not make deleting a file without confirmation good practice.

Mark

I agree. I have had the experience of deleting a file by mistake and thinking: " Oh well I can retrieve it from the recycle bin." and then forget about it. Then my automatic disc-cleanup program comes along and empties the recycle bin for me. Bye-bye photo. Fortunately it wasn’t anything really important, but it could have been. The practice of relying on the recycle bin provides a false sense of security.

I put a small, blank “sticky” note on the screen as a reminder of something to be done.

1 Like

There would be no need for a low-tech blank sticky note as a reminder to restore a file if it never got accidentally deleted by a delete button without confirmation.

Everyone has their own style and their own preferences, and if that includes having the ability to delete files without confirmation in software that allows it, I have no problem with that. However, I will not support a change to Photolab which would allow what is generally considered poor practice.

Mark

The political solution would be to provide delete with confirmation and delete without confirmation options. That way both sides are satisfied.

There is nothing political about it. It is just good programming practice to not allow deletions without confirmation since allowing that feature is too error prone for the average user. Most software with which I am familiar does not provide an option for file deletions without confirmation. Software that does allow it usually has confirmation as the default. None of the business software developed by my team over the years ever allowed it, The business stakeholders did not want the software we developed to allow staff to inadvertently delete data or files even if it was recoverable,

Mark

In fact, Ziggy, back in early versions of PhotoLab, the Delete-key was used to remove/delete an image.

It changed to Shift+Delete when Local Adjustments were introduced - as the Delete-key was then repurposed to provide for deletion of Control-Points, etc.

John M

1 Like

My vote is to change the option to just one button–the delete key. If you make a mistake, go to Recycle Bin and restore the image deleted in error.

I rarely use the Photo Library section of DXO PL because of this reason. (There are other reasons too but that is another matter altogether. )

I know I can use the Red dot, and then select on all Red images, and delete them as a group. But this takes too much time.

As a Nikon shooter, my workflow is to use Nikon View Nx-i to view the images and delete all of the obvious images that need deletion. You delete with one key–Delete button. I have been doing this since 2009 and have never deleted an image by accident.

To delete a Control Point, pick another key than Del. Why tie up the obvious delete key to delete an image that is intuitive and restrict it to just deleting a control point ? Far more imagers get deleted than control points. Or use another key to delete a control point like Esc. In Nikon Capture NX-2, software where NIK had a role at one time, you deleted a control point by right clicking on it and then select delete from the pop up menu.

I am going to try and attach a screen shot from Nikon Capture NX2 that shows how you delete a Control Point in that program. (I tried, but could not figure out how to attach anything.)

1 Like

Don’t know if this is still being discussed, but FWIW, I agree with the original poster. Three strokes is too many. As the OP mentioned, Windows Explorer accepts one, and so do other applications. The option to allow one or two clicks is the best solution.

Do all applications have to protect the user from doing dumb things. I don’t think so. In any case, the Windows Recycle bucket is doing that for us. This reminds me of the EFTPS web site. It asks about four times, using different questions, “are you sure you want to leave our website”?

After decades of two-step deletion, in my old age, I have come to really like one-step deletion since I took the plunge with Windows explorer about a year ago. Sometimes it makes the difference between whether I use Explorer or Faststone … or PhotoLibrary for review. I’ve grown to dislike additional clicks. I associate them with those intrusive notifications and pop-ups every web site throws at you nowadays.

And another thing, while I’m on about established convention: why use “Remove” when “Delete” is the common convention? It makes one think, since a subtly different word is being used, that a subtly different action is implied. Like is it going to just remove it from PhotoLibrary and not actually delete it from my hard drive?

At least the trash can convention is honoured, but “Remove” still makes you wonder, and you have to check it before you get used to it.

I think another thing worth saying about this is that it is a frustration that hitting the Delete key does nothing when you have selected an image in PhotoLibrary. Selecting a file and hitting Delete is a common, pretty much universal convention for deleting a file. It’s like when the light turns green you can go. How would you like it if your city decided on a different procedure, like green means something else for when your’re driving on the sidewalk and you have to get out and press some other button on the pole first? Well, that is exactly what we have here: the universal, practically instinctive protocol is dropped and you have waste energy banging up against it, wondering if your Delete key is broken, until you’ve learned another convention specifically for this different context.

I get that you can’t have all software work the same way but greater sensitivity to universal conventions is called for and this is another small example of an instance where one has been messed with.