DeepPrime XD - is there a type of image it is most useful for?

I wonder if NASA feels they could have saved some money now and just used DeepPrime XD on the Hubble image of The Pillars Of Creation instead of spending billions on the James Webb Telescope :rofl:

Definite joke btw folks, I think DeepPrime XD will find its place, and the James Webb is a marvel of (very expensive) engineering and science :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

yes, and you don’t know, if DeepPrime XD subtracts to much ‘noise’ (distant stars)
or adds ‘texture’ – being interpreted as new discoveries. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried Lab6 DeepPrime XD on one of my older photos. While on visit by friends had only D780 with Nikkor 50/1,8; with low light tried to shoot a portrait with ISO 25.600.
With Lab4 and DeepPrime it was amazing, how the noise was reduced.
With Lab6 and DeepPrime XD, the noise is even more reduced especially in the background, visible on 100% magnification. In foreground, 100% magnif., right eyeball is not as soft as with “normal” DeepPrime. Export in PL6 DeepPrime XD takes almost 8 minutes on Mac mini 2018 with i5.

whole picture (screenshot)

Thanks for the real world example.

DeepPrime XD looks oversharpened, like combination of DeepPrime and sharpening (i.e. a party magician’s simple sleight of hand trick). With those processing times and the artefacts other photographers are reporting, I’ll stick to DeepPrime for now.

1 Like

Yes, I think DP XD helps me with my astrophotography images. I just responded in another post with an example, see: Strange artefacts using DeepPrime/DeepPrimeXD in PL6 - #34 by rdy2snp.

Hmm, I don’t think I agree with you. To my eyes, the XD version looks to be over sharpened. I much prefer the regular DP version.

But if we all liked the same thing, the world would be very boring.

1 Like

@stuck It’s of course a matter of taste. What I actually ment was that DP XD delivers what DxO has promised - more details. The degree of sharpening is of course adjustable to taste so no worries here.

1 Like

Did a try to develop the same picture as above (portrait) with DP XD on a Macbook 14’’ with M1 Pro (8 core) and 16GB RAM and it was done in approx. 10 sec. :dizzy_face:
much faster than expected

I recently took some photos of the Santa Claus parade, which was in the evening. I goofed and had my aperture not set wide enough, so had some very high ISO images. Both versions of Deep Prime did not work well on faces. Made them look very strange. The basic noise reduction in Photolab (and ACDSee) did not do the trick. This is because the images were very noisy and there was a lot of missing information. Believe it or not, the only noise reduction that made the photos reasonable was Nik Collection Dfine. The noise wasn’t gone, but was a lot more like film grain.

1 Like