DeepPrime XD doing nothing

This series of images displays the great aspect of this DxO V6. Noise removal, which any company can do, combined with a retention of detail and dynamic range. It’s the retention of detail and dynamic range that separates the good and not-so-good. DxO XD, while it’s not an “OH MY GOD!” improvement, still advances the technology.

One thing I HAVE to ask; I’m seeing JPGs being used here; you’re not starting with JPGs are you? Because if you are, I’m now banging my head on the desk. This is a RAW converter. Only process RAW images. Then show me your comparisons. These test shots have been excellent, but all are JPGs. I see lots of tutorials on-line with people using JPGs to demonstrate noise reduction. Excuse my paranoia…

@PhilHawkins I am not sure what you are saying!?

In the case of my images they are JPGs that are being compared because I am comparing the exports from PL6 after a RAW has been processed with the noise reduction technologies on offer for RAW images, i.e. the originals are RAW because you can only apply Prime and DeepPrime and DeepPrime XD to RAW images.

RAW is the starting point for all cases with Prime or DP or DPXD with DxPL and only HQ is available for JPG images, sorry if I have misunderstood your comment!?

1 Like

It sounds like all the images posted here are output JPG images after conversion from raw… I’m sure you don’t expect raw ‘images’ to be posted :grin: (although perhaps posted as attachments…).

1 Like

@jch2103, the original RAW images will never be available from me because of the “lamentable” upload speed of my broadband which makes its completely, totally, absolutely and utterly impossible, other than that everything is fine!

Just as long as the noise adjustments were done before conversion to JPG.

@PhilHawkins The image coming into DxPL is a RAW, in my case a Lumix RW2, and has various presets applied, one of which is the application of ‘DxO Denoising Technologies’ where ‘High Quality’ only can be selected for a JPG image but ‘High Quality’, 'Prime. ‘Deep Prime’ or ‘Deep Prime XD’ can be selected for a RAW (RW2) image.

The comparisons made were between JPG exports from PL6 between ‘DeepPRIME’ and ‘DeepPRIME XD’ because the overall impact of the methods can only be reviewed via such an export, which could be JPG, TIFF or DNG but a JPG @ Quality = 97 suits me.

So JPGs is what I then compared in my posts, albeit I compared them with the original RAW in FasRawViewer because it is able to render RAWs directly. Because I shoot JPG and RAW I could have compared the DxPL JPG exports which are adjusted and denoised RAWs with the JPGs rendered by the camera which might have been interesting.

But only the HQ option is available for JPG denoising with DxPL whereas other packages are offering advanced “AI” denoising to image types other than RAWs.

The reason you’re seeing JPGs is you can not display the raw file graphically, it must be converted via the raw converter (DXO PhotoLab 6) to a JPG file to display via the internet or saved as a .PNG. I suppose I could do a screen capture of the RAW display in PhotoLab. All these different JPGs are developed from a single DNG file Pic027.DNG. Here you go a screen capture of the RAW file saved as a .PNG. Now get over your paranoia

Noise adjustments to JPG files never look good its always best to do the adjustments in RAW to allow you some options.

For your reassurance, Phil; that’s a given … 'cos, as Bryan points out;

• those NR algorithms are not applicable for JPGs.

John M

There’s a lot of smart people here, and I’m sure it’s being done correctly, but I wanted to ask the question because I see it demonstrated so often on JPGs.

2 Likes

Phil,

Of course. When else could they possibly be applied? I assume you must be aware that PRIME, DeepPRIME, and DeepPRIME XD can only be applied to supported raw files.

Mark

Yes, it is demonstrated on jpegs which are the most common export output when DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD has ben applied to raw files. You can also view it in DNG files and Tiff files, but when editing has concluded the creation of high resolution Jpegs is the normal output format. How would you view timages with DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD applied? I

Mark

Wosse was making a joke. The subject is bald. I guess I get it because I have the same issue :rofl:

1 Like

Woopsie, not my sharpest moment of the day I guess :joy: