DeepPrime NR takes 3 minutes

DxO PL4. DeepPrime noise reduction take 3 minutes to complete. Is this because of my CPU (Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)) or graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 940MX)? Or?

If I remember right, the minimum recommended graphics card is a GeForce GTX 1060. You can look in the Preferences and try manually choosing the CPU or the GPU for DeepPRIME processing and see if there is a difference. But people have tested different GPUs and note there’s a significant difference with faster hardware. Your CPU isn’t particularly powerful, either.

It is very unlikely your graphics card is supported for use with DeepPRIME, and your older CPU is also a bit on the slow side in comparison to newer processors. Additionally, since DeepPRIME was introduced in PhotoLab 4, its performance has been tweaked.

Mart

See my reply to the prior answer. I manually selected (in preferences) my “partially supported” GPU and it cut the time from 3 minutes to 1 minute.

The preference was set to Auto, with my GPU listed as “partially supported”. I selected the GPU and then converted (again) a recent RAW file, keeping everything the same as the last time. It finished in 1 minute instead of 3! Thanks so much!

This might give you some comfort. I’ve been using a “partially supported” GPU (an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti) for a few years now with various versions of PL and PL noise reduction (DeepPrime and now DeepPrime XD). To date I’ve never had a failure in processing an image, and every time I’ve benchmarked the processing time the “partially supported” GPU has significantly outperformed the CPU-based processing. So, while you could reduce the processing time even further with more powerful graphics hardware, you should be able to continue enjoying the benefits of the improved processing times from selecting your “partially supported” graphics card in the Display Preferences.

I did that and it cut the time from 3 minutes to 1 minute. See my prior reply to another answer.

FYI, I read in another thread here that updating the GPU driver could improve processing speed. Turns out my GPU driver was 1 1/2 years old, so I updated it. But no improvement at all.

I believe you may have been referring to the thread which discussed faster DeepPRiME processing after installing the latest Nvidia drivers for certain graphics cards. If that is correct, it wasn’t about updating very old drivers with the latest version, it was about the significant improvements to latest version of specific drivers used by a subset of Nvidia graphics cards, including my Nvidia GTX 1050ti. You card is obviously not one of those

Mark

I think you’re correct. I didn’t notice that the thread referred only to a certain subset of graphics cards.

Yes. Several people using a few different older Nvidia cards, myself included, noticed that the very latest driver improved DeepPRIME, and PhotoLab 6’s DeepPRIME XD processing time by around 30%.

For my 21mp raw files DeepPRIME processing improved from 20 seconds to 14 seconds and DeepPRIME XD from around 50 seconds to 34 seconds. Still very very slow compared to the most recent cards on faster machines, but acceptable to me.

Again, my card is the aging GTX 1050ti. I think it may have been several cards in the 1xxx series that saw an improvement. Perhaps others can confirm if I’m correct.

Mark