DeepPrime is affected by Prime settings

I am trying 4 and first thing I did was check DeepPrime because of detail loss in Prime with any Chrominance setting above zero.

DeepPrime has only 2 sliders. Luminance and dead pixels. When I change the Chrominance in Prime, and then switch to DeepPrime, the image appearance is altered in DeepPrime.

Why are not all settings visible if DeepPrime is affected by it?..

Here is a GIF animation showing the results of different settings (100% crop):

It is very annoying that noise reduction settings are saved in the presets and there is still no way to discard those settings when loading a preset. This means changing and re-saving all your presets if you don’t want to change the noise setting EVERY time.

1 Like

There seems to be some “crosstalk” between settings of Prime and DeepPrime indeed.

To test, I did the following:

1. Opened an image (EOS 5D, shot at ISO 1600)
  2. Set Prime to its default (magic wand active) values
  3. Switched to DeepPrime with default values
  4. Exported the image to 16bit TIFF
  5. Set Prime to Chroma noise value = 0
  6. Switched to DeepPrime with default values
  7. Exported the image to 16bit TIFF
  8. Opened both TIFFs as layers in Photoshop
  9. Subtracted the layers and changed the tone curve to go from min to max
    between 0 and 3 (instead of between 0 and 255)
  10. Exported the result (see below)

As we can see here too, there is a difference between the two exports. The difference is small - the tone curve amplifies the effect by almost 100 - but exists.

There is no difference when I compare two different exports that are both set to default values in Prime, therefore, the difference is not due to some (suspected) statistical effect of DeepPrime.

Mmm - I ran a different comparison (less technical - - more visual) … based on a noisy, low light image (ISO 1600) from my OM-D EM-1 iii

• set NR to PRIME and Chrominance & Low Freq. to zero
  • then created a virtual copy and changed the NR method to DeepPRIME
  • set NR to PRIME and Chrominance & Low Freq. to settings determined by the “magic wand”
  • then created a virtual copy and changed the NR method to DeepPRIME
  • and exported all to TIFFs

Visual comparison (via Irfan) at 100%;

• Obvious differences between the two PRIME versions (as expected, due to different settings)
  • No difference, that I could discern, between the two DeepPRIME versions.

Note: I’m NOT saying there are no differences (@platypus seems to confirm there are differences) - but, they’re not visible to me.

I’m not clear on what you mean by this, Michiel - Could you elaborate a little, please.
(Are you on Mac or Win10?)

John M

1 Like

John,

What was the complete testing configuration and the results?

Mark

1 Like

It is very convenient that you can now copy and paste selected settings from one to another image. As far as I am aware it is not possible to load selected settings from a preset. It’s all or nothing. (Win10)

As far as I can see there are only 3 built in presets that change the settings for noise reduction. Those are “DXO Standard”, “DXO Optical Corrections only” and “No Correction”. All the rest of the built in presets appear to be partial presets which ignore noise reduction settings.

If you have created your own full presets, or have downloaded full presets created by others, then all settings, including those for noise reduction, will be changed to whatever defaults are set in those presets,

The key to eliminating the resetting of any adjustments by a preset is to modify it from full to partial by removing those features you don’t want adjusted when it is selected. That can be done via the Preset Editor in PhotoLab 4 Elite.The effort will depend on the number of changes you make. Just removing noise reduction from a preset might take a minute or two once you are comfortable using the Preset Editor,

Mark

Ah, I see!
That is kind of a vague way do deal with it presets, but this way it’s possible to disable certain settings in a preset.
Good to know, thanks! :slight_smile:

The only thing I wonder now is that you can’t set a global default noise reduction setting.
So I’d have to make a separate preset for only noise reduction or something.

( Before Photolab I used Canon DPP where default noise reduction settings could be set in the preferences. I never liked Adobe colors so I don’t know how they deal with that. )

I still think it would be WAY more efficient if you could choose which settings to apply, which is possible now with copying settings.

I’m not sure why you think that is a vague way to deal with presets. How would you prefer it was done? Unlike the copying settings from image to image, using that technique to permanently modify presets is not really practical. Using the preset editor is quick and easy to use and allows for an infinite number of possibilities once you understand how it works…

You can add a default noise reduction setting to your presets, but if you do, using that preset will override any other changes you’ve previously made to that setting. Generally, you would put default settings in your start up presets in Preferences, like DXO Standard, so the defaults are applied automatically the first time you edit an image.

Mark.

1 Like

Yes I think that’s how I’ll set it up. Enable noise reduction for my custom default, and disable for all the others :+1:

(By the way we’ve gone off topic :sweat: )

Hi @Skies ,

This seems to a bug, indeed, thanks for sharing.

When using DeepPRIME, you should always get the result that you currently get when setting Chrominance to 0 first—whatever the value. The difference is quite subtle on most images, I think that’s why it was not detected before.

I believe I identified the reason and hope we can fix this in one of the coming minor releases.

Best,
Wolf

PS: concerning the request for selectively applying presets—that’s more than just a bugfix. If it is not listed under feature requests yet, please do so :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Back off-topic again …

Yes, this is really convenient, and very easy to set-up: All you need to do is;

• Open a new image (one not encountered by PL before - to ensure there are no settings being applied from the database) … and apply the DxO Standard preset to it.
  • Make all your setting changes, as you’d like them to be applied as your default starting point
    – this can include making tool-setting changes - BUT, with the tool NOT activated
    – so you can later activate the tool (as required) with your preferred settings already applied.
  • Use the menu option Image / Create preset from current settings
  • And, finally, replacing DxO Standard (in Preferences) with your personal new default preset:
    eg. … image

HtH - John M