Deep Prime vs Topaz Photo AI

The installer only installed the stand-alone version. Nothing was actually installed into PhotoLab. The license you paid for is what made the hidden embedded features in PhotoLab become visible and available.

Mark

1 Like

I think that they could add 3-5 of the NIK filters each year as part of the new version. They have the NIK code.

There are a few hundred Nik filters in all the various modules. At three to five filters per year, it would probably take over 50 years to include them all! Which three to five filters would you like them to start with, and how useful these three to five filters really be when separated from the rest of the Nik functionality?

In the meantime you would have a weird hybrid mix of features. DxO would not be able to remove those filters from the Nik collection while adding them to PhotoLab which means they would be in two places. There would be significant other design and workflow issues as well, but, I don’t think it’s worth breaking them all down at this point.

Mark

Hi,
because I’ve just updated my 3 single products to Photo AI and paid nothing :smiley: just a link for How Well Does Topaz Labs’ New Photo AI Sharpen Blurry Photos? | Fstoppers with a short video by Anthony Morganti.
And another one here by Dave Kelly TOPAZ PHOTO AI (NEW UPDATE V1.0.2) Now With a PREFERENCE PANEL (A Welcome Addition)… - YouTube

I will test it with some old photos the next days.

best regards

Guenter

I already own Sharpen AI and while we have generally agreed here that DeepPRIME is the same or better than DeNoise AI, I will quite likely end up purchasing DeNoise AI.

Why? Well I’ve been playing with a trial of Photo AI and while it can do some useful stuff on a handful of my DSLR shots, it can do wonderful things with old scanned films that PhotoLab can do very little with.

This is why I use PixInsight and MLT (Multi Linear Scale transform tool) in linear mode and TGVdenoise in non-linear mode. Both will do a far better job of NR with astrophotography images than either Topaz or DXO Pure RAW 2. Of course, PIxInsight is not cheap (but it is exceptionally good, and great value for money too when you consider that it has no limits to the number of computers that you can run it on, and will run on freeBSD, GNU/Linux, Windows and MacOS).

I’d neve recommend using a DSLR/mirrorless camera for astrophotography. Dedicated astro cameras (ZWO is highly recommended) are a MUCH BETTER option - better bit rate, lower SNR, better electron well depth, better QE and a cooled sensor. Oh, and better IR sensitivity too. There’s no contest whatsoever.

I’d stick to DXO/Topaz for terrestrial images ONLY.

For me personally, I have both DXO Pure RAW2 and Topaz Denoise AI and I think DXO is better (less loss of fine detail). ymmv.

2 Likes