Crop tool limit to (rotated) picture area

even if you have a very precise positioning, you need to view both edges with 100% zoom, and although I have a 3440x1440 monitor, both edges usually don’t fit the screen, so I have to pan back and forth to get both corners exactly at the image border.

Try the same task in Photoshop: There is the requested switch / option, and you simply push the crop area to the image limit even with 25% zoom quickly.

Oliver

No, truly & honestly, I do this all the time, and repeatedly with the accuracy you can see in my example above (as shown at fit-on-screen zoom level).

All the same - I agree that this would be a handy option to include in the PL crop tool.

Thanks for agreeing on the necessity / usefulness.

It is simply not possible to hit the border reliably with single pixel precision if you don’t work with 100% zoom. Therefore (unless you have a 40" 4k screen and/or very small crops) you either let some safety margin or you get black triangles sometimes.

2 Likes

I just want to push this issue again.

It’s really boring that we need to take extreme care to not crop outside of the image area. Since PL already knows the limits (and is able to display them!), it should really as well take care of them. Of course this needs to be configurable (on/off).

This does not only apply to rotated images, but to perspective corrections as well.

I consider this as a missing core function, which IMHO should have significantly higher priority than (i.e.) DAM…

5 Likes

Thanks, Tilman.

Just recently I was working on a set of aerial images where the weather was turbulent so I had to adjust a lot of them, and often I needed also to push the crop area to the left or the right and It was no fun.

1 Like

I want to expand this feature request by expanding the copy/repair tool to the black areas how I have described here: Question to the copy-repair-tool

3 Likes

Since this issue is (over-) due for four years now, but there still is absolutely no response from DxO, it should obviously be pushed up again…

It’s a shame that this issue (probably not too hard to fix) is simply ignored for such a long time.

2 Likes

I agree it’s amazing some of these really simple improvements are still not implemented.

It’s very simple. Add a check box called “constrain to picture limits” and make it checked by default for new images. I can see very few practical cases (but more than zero) where I would want a crop that included the black sliver where there was no picture previously.

1 Like

a few days ago I was annoyed again that the option still does not exist. I had several pictures, taken from a rocking vehicle, where I had to adjust the horizon and where the center of the picture was not the best crop.

Sometimes I filled the black triangles with the clone or repair tool to keep more of the remaining image. Especially restoring sky or grass is easy. So it should be an option to limit the crop area.

1 Like

Yeah but you even have to play tricks to do that (like exporting and reimporting. There’s another feature request to enable cloning and healing outside the frame edge. I voted for that one too). I agree that’s a valid use case and they’d why I’m suggesting it be an option. But should be off by default.

On my system, it is already possible to do this, and very easy. If I have a rotated or keystoned (perspective-corrected) image, and use the crop tool, by default it is set to “Auto based on keystoning/horizon”, and the crop boundary is automatically constrained to the image area. If I change that to “Manual” I can position the crop wherever I choose, either smaller (inside) or larger (outside) the image boundary. I often do this before export to PS, and fill in any missing area by cloning, content-aware fill, by warping, or a further perspective crop. I find this so useful that I do it on probably 25% of my images, even if it’s only a small sliver.

It is difficult to understand what additional functionality you need. This is so much more flexible than for example Adobe Camera Raw.

I believe you’ve misunderstood the feature request. The current feature request is to add an option to constrain manual cropping so that the corners and edges don’t extend beyond the image boundaries. When you auto-crop based on keystoning, you depend on the program to define the size and aspect ratio of the crop area. If you want to manually adjust this (I usually do), but still want to keep the crop within the image boundaries (I usually do), it’s a chore, because you then have to zoom in at the corners to see if you’ve accidentally included the black region outside the image. Imagine being able to resize and reshape the crop at will, looking for the desired ratio and image area, and PhotoLab simply stops you from moving the edge or corner of a crop window when a corner hits a black boundary. That’s a great labor-saver and seems conceptually simple to implement. It’s also more precise than an all-manual approach.

2 Likes

Yes. Basically I want an option that when checked it becomes impossible to choose a crop box that includes anything outside the picture frame (black)

For TIFF-Files, Nik Perspective Efex has a solution, that should suit the different demands.

I don’t have Nik. :frowning:

Disappointed this very simple improvement didn’t make it to PL5.
Some things are this program are so great. And some little tiny things make it so difficult to use.

2 Likes

I hope it can be added in a minor update to PL5.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is still not available in PhotoLab 6…

…and apparently also not in PL7. :frowning:

Six years of waiting for a really simple, missing basic core function that should have been implemented right from the start (instead of requiring a feature request).

The feature list mentions “Access the maximum available image area when using the Crop tool” introduced with PL6. What the heck does that mean?

Unfortunately, whatever it means is not what we would like it to mean.

How I wish that DxO would attend to the existing feature set before getting carried away by adding new functions. This constrain crop to the image area request is probably getting buried under the excitement of the possibilities of adding AI etc. As are old requests for much needed improvements to curve tool, grids, keyboard shortcuts and so on. Absolutely no response on the shortcomings of the new local adjustments either.

I wonder if any of these usability issues have been raised with DxO via official bug reporting rather than just being shared here.

1 Like