Bug report: Lens distortion correction is dysfunctional in 5.2.1. build 62 was:Crop is not used during export

With the latest version 5.2.1. build 62 on macOS i cannot export any more because the PL use not the cropping dimension anymore. Also the jpg looks like that the Correction of the objectiv is lost.

I had to use the previous version to made my work…

3 Likes

Is the lower image is the exported one? Then the crop has been applied, I’d say. But it looks like the lens profile has not been applied as I think some barrel distortion is visible with the exported image.

Btw: The have been other complains about non-applied lens corrections on export here in the forum, PL5.2.1 omitting lens correction on export

Yes the lower image is the exported one. You have right it could be that only the distortion is not corrected during export.

I have noticed the same problem, and it is in fact a huge problem. This messed up a job for me yesterday. I had planned to process a huge batch of interior shots. This new bug put a stop to that. To me it seems that the lens distortion correction is not applied, or possibly applied with faulty settings, when exporting images.

…And yes… the immediate way to spot this is that the cropping will seem off when comparing an exported image to what the PL5 editor view suggests. …And then the missing lens distortion correction becomes obvious.

This new PL5 behaviour should be treated as a serious bug introduced by the latest update. Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to something like “Bug report: Lens distortion correction is dysfunctional in 5.2.1. build 62”.
I hope this bug will be fixed ASAP.

1 Like

I have changed the topic .

1 Like

I just noticed there is another post here somewhere describing the same bug. Hopefully the DXO-team will get to work on a fix soon.

BTW, it would make sense to swap the current 5.2.1 download for the previous build until this bug is fixed. That has however not yet happened. The version at https://download-center.dxo.com/PhotoLab/v5/Mac/DxO_PhotoLab5.dmg is still 5.2.1 build 62.

1 Like

I have the same problem with 5.2.1 Build 62.
The jpeg is kind of zoomed out a little bit compared to what I see in my crop in the Customize view.
If I export the same image (Nikon NEF-file, without changing any settings) with version 5.2.0 I do not have this problem.
I can not use 5.2.1. I will use 5.2.0 until this bug is corrected.
I have an iMac 5K 2017 with Big Sur 11.6.5.

1 Like

Same for me, glad it’s a bug and not me doing something wrong.

1 Like

You guys all need to submit a bug report to Support. They just got back to me and are saying they don’t see any problem in the files I sent them. This is a very obvious enormous bug, and makes the software UNUSABLE for me.

1 Like

I sent a bug report. I did not attach any files. The problem is however extremely easy to notice, and obviously something that kills DXO PL5 for pro use.

1 Like

They asked for diagnostic info on my bug report, and I have just submitted it. It’s definitely lens corrections not being applied.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t think they understand the problem, even though I explained it very clearly, and attached the raw photo, the PL sidecar file, and an exported jpeg (showing that the lens distortion corrections were not applied on export). It’s a very easy bug to reproduce. I worked in software dev for 18 years, nobody would be going home tonight with a bug of this magnitude in a production release. At a minimum they should be pushing out a rollback to the previous stable build.
Here’s the response I got earlier today:

Seth (Support & Assistance)

Apr 29, 2022, 5:14 PM GMT+2

Hello Joel,

Thank you for writing and for the photo file. We were able to process it on our systems here creating not only a JPG file, but also a TIFF and DNG file. It appears that there is very little optical distortion to be corrected in the file you sent to us. We examined that JPG file, and it appears to be normal in regards to optical distortion. There was, however, quite a bit of lighting correction applied to the photo. The same appears to be true for the TIFF and DNG files. If you can please point out specific areas of the photo where distortion correction is not being applied, we will be happy to examine then more closely.

Thank you for contacting DxO Customer Support.

Seth - DxO Labs Support Team

1 Like

OMG!!! They are not getting it!!! This is hilarious! Well, a quick look at the two images J3rry attached to the first post in this thread pretty much nails the problem.

1 Like

I made a bug report, request #332812, if they don’t see this as bug …

2 Likes

I have now submitted a bug report, request #332815.
I suspect that lens correction is not made in version 5.2.1, because if I compare jpegs made from the same RAW image (Nikon NEF-file) with version 5.2.1 and 5.2.0 respectively, jpeg made with version 5.2.0 looks much sharper.

1 Like

I have not heard anything else from support, I guess they took the weekend off. I’m incredibly frustrated, I’ve had to renew my subscription to Lightroom just to finish the job I’m working on!
Just a basic sanity check by the QA and Dev teams would have caught this before it went into production, I really don’t understand why this is now day 3 with a showstopper bug in the software.

1 Like

Just discovered this as well, and spent a few hours testing and comparing various photos from a Fuji X-T4 and also from a Sony RX100M7. Very obvious barrel distortion when imported in LR after processing in PL, i.e. distortion correction seems to be not applied at all in the export from 5.2.1 build 62.

1 Like

We have identified a bug in certain situations affecting specifically version 5.2.1. We are preparing a fix that will be released soon.

If your processings are showing that issue, you can temporarily revert to version 5.2.0 (https://download-center.dxo.com/PhotoLab/Archive/v5.2.0/Mac/5.2.0.56/DxO_PhotoLab_5.2.x-dev_56_notarized.dmg) until version 5.2.2 is out.

Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes