Conversion of CR3 to DNG or TIFF: Advantages and disadvantages

I use Picasa for many features not available in Photolab 4. However, my Canon 90D produces CR3 files that Picasa can not “see”. But, I can export those CR3 files in DNG or TIFF which Picasa can “see”. Other than TIFF files being roughly 3 times as large as DNG, is there any other reason to favor or disfavor DNG for use in Picasa?

I can not say anything about Picasa, but Applications I tested do not reproduce the colors of DNG files.
The image is displayed correctly at first glance, but a critical look shows the colors are off.
Green grass is too much saturated and “autumn colors” are shifted from yellow to green.
I have tested Affinity Photo, SilkyPix, Rawtherapee and Photoline.

It appears to me, these programs ignore the color profile which is embedded to DNG and apply their own profile which they normally use for the camera models raw file.
I assume this, because an ORF raw file looks exactly the same as DNG in color when developed with these applications, but different than the out of camera jpg or the preview in photolab.

This does not happen with TIFF.

Possibly save the same file as Tiff and as DNG and compare critically the colors.

Peter,
Thank you for the explanation; I’ll try the comparison.

I too have a Canon 90D, it is set to capture both RAW (.CR3) and JPEG files. Previously I had a Canon 400D, which also was set to capture both RAW (.CR2) and JPEG files.

I also use Picasa but solely as a simple catalogue, I do not use any of the editing features it offers. Within Picasa (Tools | Options, File Types tab) I have UNticked any RAW file types. Thus when Picasa displays the contents of my photo folders, it only shows one copy, the .jpg file, of each photo. The fact that Picasa can’t handle .CR3 is of no consequence to me.

To the best of my knowledge, Picasa cannot truly edit any type of RAW file. Rather, when Picasa shows a RAW file, it simple displays the JPEG that is embedded within the RAW file. Further, Picasa doesn’t really edit any file, it just writes the changes to a hidden (picasa.ini) file that’s in the folder holding the file.

All my photo editing is done using PL3 and/or Affinity Photo. Typically I use PL to convert my RAW (.CR2 and .CR3) files to TIFF and then do any further editing in Affinity I also have an ancient copy of Photoshop which I use for printing as I find that is the most reliable way of transferring what I see on screen to paper.

Does any of this help?

stuck

It could be your experience ist better, because most applications are optimized for Canon or Nikon without doubt, because these are market leaders…
I use Olympus and most Raw converters do not fully reproduce the colors of this camera sensor without manual corrections… DXO PL4 however does it out of the box it seems to be calibrated, this is one of its big advantages for me…

Probably 8 bit. A 16 it would be much larger.
The DNG can contain the original raw file or a tiff file with no editing. What is yours?

George