Control points 'bleeding'?

If I duplicate the first control point adjusting exposure and adding blur, the bird’s head also is blurred. How can this be avoided?

Control points that don't bleed or at least have selectable feathering
(Jim) #2

I’d place a control point on the bird’s head without changing any of the sliders and press M to see the mask. If necessary, drag the circle of influence to limit the mask. Then turn OFF that mask and apply the others. The first mask “locks” the effect so that subsequent control points will not interact with it.

Thanks for the tip.
What it does is start the head blur on the 3rd control point addition rather than the second. Curious.

So with more fiddling …
Keeping subsequent CPs well away from the head avoids the blur.

(Mark) #5

I was able to easily recreate the same problem. Very disconcerting. It doesn’t happen with auto mask which is what I use most of the time anyway.

Mark

Thanks for checking.

I can see the advantage of feathering, if it was controllable.

Have you tried to place a protective (negative) controll point on the bird’s head instead of a completely new controll point. You do it with an Alt+click, the controll point shows a “-” in it’s centre and it excludes the area of influence from the effect of the other controll points.

(Christian) #8

I find it always helpful with Control Points to view the mask (black and white display, Shift-M?), especially to use protection points or to fine tune the setting of the control points.

Thanks roeslewf, that looks promising :+1:

Yep Christian, experimenting with that - the b&w grading suggests that a control point has an influence well beyond the hard boundary.

Added: well, the head blurring returned this time after I’d added 6 CPs running above and to the right of the bird, coming down underneath it.

Is there an option to ring or mask the bird and have adjustments apply to everything else?

(Mark) #10

If a control point has an effect well beyond it boundary and there is no way to accurately control it that makes them pretty useless in my book.

Mark

Yes, trial and error with that is ridiculous.

(Greg) #12

To reiterate what @roeslewf said, this is what negative control points are for. It’s not clear that you’ve tried this yet, @Ziggy99.

Yes. My post of 2 hours ago reports what I found.

(Greg) #14

There might be a bug here. However, as far as I know, a negative control point must be placed inside the circle around the control point causing the unwanted effect. So I suggest enlarging the original control point’s circle, then creating negative control point(s) inside that to keep parts of the image from being affected. Does that help?

(Pascal) #15

If the purpose of the post is to declare a bug, it’s interesting to look into this depthly.

If the request is to find a solution to this photo, I think you don’'t use the good tool.
It’s very easy to apply the graduated filter and erase it on the bird’s head.

Pascal

Thanks for your suggestions folks.

First to Greg’s.
If I understand you correctly, I would define a large CP encompassing the bird and then a smaller -ve one covering the head? So, that kind of works - but it provides a feathered effect of a sharp centre moving to a blurred outside.

So to Pascal’s. Not sure what you mean.
I’ve blurred everything with one CP and then tried with an Eraser CP on the head to rub that blur out. It appears to have some effect but not nearly enough.
Added: also blurred everything with the graduated filter and then tried to erase the blur; no luck either.

(Svetlana G.) #17

Hello @Ziggy99,

Could you, please, provide me with this image for the test?

Second, I have a feeling that you do not use the negative “protect” points correctly. Did you press “Alt” when adding them like that?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

(Mark) #18

Svetlana,

Regardless of whether protection points are used or not, should control point edits bleed past the border? Here is an example when I added maximum blur and some color changes to make the bleed more obvious. Secondly the edits start to fade as they get closer to the border. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood how to best use the control points. I mostly use auto mask when I’m making local adjustments.

Mark

This is how control points work. The circle represents the main area of influence but the mask extends past the circle to some extent. It means that control point adjustments blend without the hard edge of straightforward masks. Pluses and minuses to this.

Ian

Thanks Svetlana.
Link to original image sent.
Yes, following your example I got a protection area on the bird’s head to work :+1:
Cheers,
Ziggy