Comparison table between PL (elite) and NIX 2?

There’s a lot of functional overlap between PL and NIX - e.g. noise reduction, prime, DFINE, sharpening, sharpener pro…

Is there any kind of comparison chart that will help me understand whether I want to buy NIX 2? All the pages about what it does for me are nicely done - but many of those functions were already in DXO Pro years ago - what’s the qualitative difference? e.g. How about a 3-way slider, Before, DXO PL, DXO PL+NIX 2?

1 Like
(Melbourne, Australia) #2

Yes, there are a lot of overlaps between Nik & PL … as both were developed quite separately.

I find it much more convenient to use PL as much as possible, as that avoids needs to export the image across to different Nik tools … such that I really only ever use Color Efex Pro (and, to a lesser degree, Silver Efex Pro) - as other functions (for sharpening, NR) are well supported from within PL.

Regards, John M

1 Like
(Peter) #3

They have both a different development path.
DxO took/bought NIK collections from Google and started to rewrite the last version with as goal to keep it alive in the new OS versions.
At the same time DxO optic pro developed to PhotoLab.
Viewpoint and Filmpack are plugins and standalones like NIK is.
So there are some visual overlaping functionalities but at the same point they work somewhat different.
Biggest difference is NIK works with tiff 16bit and PL with viewpoint and Filmpack is nondestructive and works with Raw.
Most things NIK can is also possible or nearly possible with PL aldoh nik has great presets and silvereffex monochromes/B&W conversions are great. And i am sure the NIK collection can stand alone on it’s feed as plugin with the UI known to many old users and new.
So filmpack plus DxO elite and NIK are have commen ground but also seperate strongholds.

I use the nik version which is free provided by DxO when NIK v2 wasn’t developed.
Edit: I suggest to look at some tutorials made by profesional users of NIK to see it’s potential.
And do the same on the dxo pl website for PL.
That way you can get a sense of the both types of toolset.

1 Like