Colour cast on Canon 90D .CR3 files

Due to ā€œpost moderationā€ my last two edits are switched.
I think the problem is the wb tool. It starts with a wrong initial value when using ā€œno presetā€.
In my case all pictures start with an color temp of 5400 which is the value when I choose ā€œmanualā€. My wb setting says ā€œas shotā€ but the value belongs to ā€œmanualā€. However when I change the setting to whatever and return, then the wb becomes more ā€œas shotā€.
Maybe thatā€™s why I felt uncomfortable using ā€œno presetā€. I rarely change the color temp.
Why doesnā€™t ā€œmanualā€ start with a value of ā€œas shotā€?

From the manual
ā€œThe default choice is Original, which corresponds to the white balance of the camera used to shoot the image. Manual or Custom mode isautomatically selected as soon as you use the Color temperature or Tint slidersā€
I suppose ā€œOriginalā€ means ā€œAs Shotā€.

George

@stuck,

Iā€™m of course interested in more files for testing.

Regards,
Marie

@Marie OK, Iā€™ve uploaded IMG_0287.CR3. In that image, applying DxOā€™s standard preset and generic renderings:

1. If you set the WB using the dropper on either the strip of white sky on the left hand side OR you zoom right in on the white hawthorn blossom on the right hand side, the greens are much less yellow and look about right.

2. If you set the WB on the darkest grey bit of the sky, along the top, the greens are much too yellow.

Alternatively, if I still apply standard preset but use the dual illuminant DCP file I created as described above for the rendering and:
a) increase ā€˜protect saturated coloursā€™ to 100
b) leave the WB ā€˜as shotā€™
then again the greens look about right.

NB It only seems to be greens that are not rendered correctly. For example, I have an image of a white swan sitting on its nest, with no obvious greens anywhere in the image and that one looks fine using the DxO standard preset plus generic renderings.

stuck

Hello @stuck,

thanks for the image and details.
We will look into it.

Regard,
Marie

@Marie can you save whether or not this 90D / CR3 colour cast problem will be corrected as an update to PL3 or will it only available in PL4, which I presume is due fairly soon?

I hope not the latter. Iā€™ll be seriously disappointed if the only way to get a patch to a fault in PL is to have to pay money for it.

stuck

Stuck,

I have the Canon M6 MkII which uses the same sensor as the 90D and also found the colour was not quite right (slightly yellow). What I did was change the ā€œColor Renderingā€ to ā€œNeutral color, factory tonalityā€ and the colours changed to almost identical to the embedded JPG.

I only use compressed RAW files which are also .CR3 files.

I have this as a preset for when I need it.

Hope this helps.

ā€¦Canon M6 MkII which uses the same sensor as the 90Dā€¦

Err, no it doesnā€™t. The 90D has a 33MP sensor, the 6D mk ii only has a 26MP sensor

ā€¦change the ā€œColor Renderingā€ā€¦

Yes, I too discovered that the various options with in color rendering sometimes help mitigate this problem. However as far as I can see mitigate is all they do. I find it really hard to fully solve the problem.

I hope DxO can improve their handling of .CR3 files because it was a massive disappointment to me when, after several years of using DxO with .CR2 files from a venerable Canon 400D, I came up against this problem with my new Canon 90D.

stuck

Stuck, it seems you have mistaken the 6D Mark II for the M6 Mark II. :upside_down_face: So many options these days.

oops, canā€™t read

I have done that myself before :hushed: Still, I did not find the colour that far off so it is not really an issue for me.

I can send you one of my photos of you wish to compare with yours.

Yes, Iā€™m deliberately repeating my entire post because I didnā€™t get an answer from @Marie.

Mind you, a lack of response doesnā€™t surprise me, it just confirms a frequent gripe about DxO, they only reply when it suits them, not their customers.

Perhaps I if I add that I am unlikely to spend any more money with DxO until this gross colour rendering problem is fixed that might make DxO listen?

stuck

Your observation here seems to suggest that the problem is not with PL per se - but with PLā€™s processing of your 90D RAW file via its standard preset.

Iā€™ve noticed a similar difference between RAWs from my Olympus vs Sony cameras ā€¦ In my case, I found a good middle ground by using a specific Color Rendering, instead of the camera default. (In my case; Camera Body, DxO One ā€¦ which I apply as my personal standard preset, replacing the ā€œDxO Standardā€ preset).

Regards, John M

I have the same problem with my Canon M50. RAW are too yellow in DXO PL compared to DPP (Canon software). :frowning:

Donā€™t hold your breath for a fix. Despite the initial interest shown by @Marie DxO clearly donā€™t appear to see this as a problem.

stuck

1 Like

Hereā€™s another Canon M50 owner with the same problem. For quite awhile Iā€™ve been aware of some yellow tinting on my CR3 files but just overlooked it. Yesterday I did some comparisons of green shrubbery with PL4 and DPP and there is a very real difference with DPP not having the yellow tint.

I tried many of the suggestions above but could not find anything that would make the greens look natural like DPP does.

Sure do hope that DXO will give this the attention it deserves!

Good morning!

@Marie could you, please, have a look at the problem above :point_up_2: ?

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

@Marie could you, please, have a look at the problem above :point_up_2: ?

@Marie I have just uploaded another .CR3 file (IMG_1059.CR3). How many more do you want / need to help you solve this problem?

stuck

I kind of remembered that someone testing newer Canon cameras said, that color rendering had changed in comparison to earlier models.

Therefore, I downloaded two files from dpreview.com, a .CR2 and a .CR3 file with shots taken off of the standard test scene and opened them in several raw editors. I found slight differences in color rendering as seen in DPP, Lr and DPL. It seems that rendering of colors in CR3 files is less saturated than in .CR2 files. If we exclude differences in lighting, we must conclude that Canon has changed their ā€œcolor scienceā€ a little bit.

Most raw developers try to mimic OOC JPEG appearance, which means that colors can look different when a camera maker changes the looks of OOC JPEGs. I found that standard rendition of apps changed over time too, Iā€™ve seen it in Lr and C1, less so in DPP. Newer versions tend to produce more saturated and contrasty images.

The lesson I learned from this is to make my images as I like them to be rather than to make then correctly render whatever is in the shot - except for reproductions, where I want the result to be as close to the original as possibleā€¦which means that, if I were into reproductions most of the time, Iā€™d always use the same gear to keep my workflow from wandering.

1 Like

How to add a AWB bias to the preset?
For example: I would like do add (minus) -200K to color temperature to every picture (in RAW White Balance temperature). I thing, that is the best way to remove yellow tint from pictures.

Color cast - my temporary solution for Canon M50 CR3 files:

Color rendering - set ā€œProtect saturated colorsā€ to 100
DXO_1

Tone Curve:
Blue - little up
Red - little down
Green - untouched
DXO_3