Colour cast on Canon 90D .CR3 files

Attached is a screen shot showing the same .CR3 file, from a Canon 90D, open in:
top left - Affinity Photo v1.8.3.641
bottom left - Canon DPP v4.12.0.4
right - DxO v3.2.0 build 4344

No explicit processing has been applied in any of the Apps, they are all what you see on first opening the file, i.e DxO is applying its standard preset.

The version in DxO has an obvious yellow colour cast.

Anybody from DxO care to comment?

Thanks,

stuck

DxO_canon90DcolourCast|690x431

“No explicit processing” as you put it simply means the application default processing - which will vary from application to application and even among RAW file types.

While you’re waiting for DxO to reply: I’ve seen this before with my own Olympus .ORF files. There’s too much yellow saturation by default in foliage with these RAW files. I suggest you try changing some of the “Color rendering” settings: first, try raising “Protect saturated colors” to see if that tames the colors. If you’re not happy with that, then either manually reduce the saturation of yellow using the HSL tool or select a different “Color rendering” scheme than generic/generic - such as generic / neutral tonality. When you find a scheme that you like, consider setting it as your default for RAW processing or as a preset you can engage when you edit this camera’s RAW files.

2 Likes

“No explicit processing” as you put it simply means the application default processing - which will vary from application to application and even among RAW file types.

Yes, I fully understand this. What I was trying to emphasise was that I hadn’t applied any changes, what you see is each apps default rendering of the raw data.

The lilac in the picture is growing in my back garden so I know exactly what shade of green the leaves are supposed to be, DxO’s default isn’t even close and that’s a big disappointment.

Thank you for the suggestions on how to correct the problem. I will experiment later but for now I must resist the temptation to play and go and work from home.

stuck

A reasonable expectation! I agree that for all optical technology, defaults should be better. And yet they tend to be terrible in my experience. Cameras, RAW development software, televisions, consumer-grade monitors, etc. all fall way short at their defaults. On top of that, too many product reviewers still only test with defaults, making them very unreliable. So I changed my expectations.

My disappointment also stems from the fact that I have other pictures of the same lilac bush taken with a Canon 400D and the default colour rendering of those .CR2 RAW files by Photolab is good.

I may use the handle ‘stuck’ but if DxO don’t do anything about this obvious flaw in the default processing by PhotoLab 3 of Canon 90D .CR3 RAW files then I can’t see me sticking with PhotoLab.

stuck

Hello stuck - have you contacted DXO support already and informed them about this issue?

Not yet but it’s on my ‘to do’ list.

The funny thing about working from home these last 37 days is that I seem to have less time than when I was going to the office every day :upside_down_face:

stuck

I’ve submitted a support request now but no response yet.

Meanwhile, the simplest fix is to change the ‘colour rendering’ category to ‘camera body’ and the ‘rendering’ to ‘Canon 10D, 20D, 300D, 350D’. That gives greener greens.

stuck

maybe the cause is a firmware update. Just recently there was a case on the forum with a Fuji camera if I remember correctly. The calibration by DXO was done with firmware 1.1 later Fuji had an update to firmware 1.3 and the problems started for the user.

Superficially, no that won’t be the problem. The Canon 90D was released on 12 Sept 2019 and the current firmware, v1.1.1 was released 25 Oct 2019. PhotoLab supported the 90D as of v3.1, which was released in mid Dec 2019.

However, DxO must have been working on the 90D for some time before v3.1 came out so the question is, when did they start their work on the 90D? If they started before the release of firmware v1.1.1 on 25 Oct 2019 that might explain things. If not, then it seems to me that something’s gone wrong with their calibration.

stuck

Another workaround I’ve come up with is to set the ‘rendering’ to the option that starts ‘Canon 1DXMk2…’ (and includes the 70D and the 80D) and in addition tweaking the GREEN channel on the HSL wheel by rotating it anticlockwise away from the yellows.

stuck

FWIW, Photoshop also has color cast problems with CR3.
Especially noticeable with skin tones
And they no longer have any camera profiles for 90D or M6mkii to correct
I was hoping Photo lab might be an option, but for now looks like we are stuck with DPP

Hello,

Let me ask @Marie to have a look, but to make our analysis we need that image from you, @stuck.

Could you, please, upload it to upload.dxo.com under your forum name (instead of the support ticket number) and let me know when ready.

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

OK done that but I’m not sure the upload completed correctly. One minute I was at upload.dxo.com and my file was uploading then suddenly I was at www.dxo.com. Is that redirect to the DxO home page normal when a file upload via upload.dxo.com completes?

stuck

… noticeable with skin tones

Yes, DxO doesn’t do a good job with .CR3 and skins tones either but so far I’ve not noticed it as bad on skin as it is in these leaves.

…looks like we are stuck with DPP

I’m just stuck with everything :grin:

stuck

Hello @stuck,

Is the name of your image “IMG_0221.CR3”? If yes, you are right - it’s not uploaded correctly (IMG_0221.CR3.part). Could you, please, re-upload it?

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Yes, that’s the one. I’ve reuploaded it and this time it ended as I expected it should, with a “Your file(s) have been successfully uploaded” message.

I hope it helps.

stuck

Thank you! Got it.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,

we will look to improve Canon 90D color rendering.
As you noticed, @stuck, you can also use a rendering of other Canon or the “Neutral color, factory tonality”.

Regards,
Marie

Thank you, if you need any more .CR3 files from a 90D, let me know.

stuck