Color Rendering settings

Hi,

I frequently use the Color Rendering tool as I like to set it to the camera I’m using. For Example: Category: Camera Body, Rendering Olympus OMD EM-5ii. Currently, I need to reset it for each new image I work on in any session. Is there a way to fix these setting so they do not change for each new image?

You could always create a custom preset that applies those settings and make that the default preset on opening new files.

In this case, you don’t need to do anything at all - because the default setting (“Camera default rendering” - OR, with the Color Rendering tool switched OFF) is the rendering as defined by your camera … Job done !

Note: The point of this feature is, for example, if you had another camera model and you wanted shots from it to have the same “look” as, say, your OMD EM-5ii.

Regards, John M

1 Like

Thanks, John. Sorry for the late reply, things are a little crazy where I live (USA) and I’ve been preoccupied with other things. I understand your response and that is what I suspected. However, occasionally, I do notice a shifting the file (i.e. color tone, brightness, etc.) on occasion, not consistently, but enough so I notice it, if I turn on the color rendering tool. Any thoughts as to why that might happen?

Are you saying you sometimes see a difference between the [Color Rendering tool switched OFF] and the [Color Rendering tool switched ON *with* “Camera default rendering”] ?

I have never seen that with my OMD EM-1 iii.

John

Hi John,

I’m sorry for not being more clear about what I’m seeing. Let’s see if this helps make it clear:

1. I open a new photo to work on it
  2. Color rendering is on automatically with the subheadings of Category: Generic Rendering and Rendering: Camera default rendering
  3. In the Category subheading, I select “Camera Body” and the Rendering defaults to “Canon 1000D” for some reason which tends to make the file a lillte more flat or neutral.
  4. I then go to the Rendering subheading and select Olympus MD EM-5 II line which makes the file a little richer, vibrant and colorful. The amount of change varies with the file, but there is always some change.

So, as I originally asked, is there way that the two subheadings “Category” and “Rendering” can be set to always be “Camera Body” and “Olympus OMD EM-5 II” so I don’t have to go in and change them?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rene

Sure. Make the changes that you wish and save as a preset. If you like then you can make that your default preset for RAW files. Camera Body is only available for RAW files and the special DNG “Optical corrections and denoise only” files produced by PL4.

Do you mean “a little richer, vibrant and colorful” when compared with the Canon 1000D rendition - or with the one that’s originally rendered when you see Category: Generic Rendering and Rendering: Camera default rendering ?

That is, I’m still trying to understand why you find you “have to go in and change them” each time … as I’m not sure you really need to … Unless you’re saying you can see a difference in PL’s explicit version of rendition for your Olympus OMD EM-5 II versus the default rendition (for your Olympus OMD EM-5 II) - and you prefer PL’s version … Is that it ?

• If so then Mark’s recommendation is the way to go
  • If not, tho, then you do not need to do anything.

John

@renetheberge – as you are new to the game, you might want to read

while not about how to pimp your camera with ‘foreign’ camera profile it still might be interesting
Screen Shot 02-14-21 at 09.30 PM

have fun, Wolfgang

Thank you to all who replied with your helpful answers. I think I understand what is going on now. Part of my problem, as I’ve recently learned, is slightly declining vision. Due COVID, I’ve not had my eyes/glasses checked in too long a time. The other part is only using PL in a superficial way up til now. A little while back, with being home all the time, I decided to learn PL more in depth and am now trying to get better at it so I’m playing around a lot more and running into things I don’t quite understand.

I’ve looked at the list of tutorials, but I’m wondering if there’s a basic but comprehensive tutorial(s) on using PL that demonstrates how the tools work that will help you get started. The written manual is only somewhat helpful.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Rene

1 Like

@renetheberge – check here https://www.dxo.com/webinars/ Most of them are in English …

I suggest to look for webinars with Dan Hughes first, also on his channel https://www.youtube.com/c/DanHughes/videos , as he doesn’t speak so fast as

Photo Joseph https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Photo+Joseph+DxO , whom I also enjoy.

have fun, Wolfgang

1 Like