Color grading / Split Toning improvements

I also think that the color grading feature is a must for any decent photo software. It’s for sure one crucial feature missing in PL5 that could make people stay with LR.
Everytime I see a nicely colour graded picture on the web, I’m almost sure that it didn’t come out of PL!

It’s for sure one crucial feature missing in PL5 that could make people stay with LR.

Very much agreed - I caved and did get FP for the color grading that it does have, but as much as PL has some fantastic features, this is one area I do fear that LR has an edge on it.

I get the logic of dividing up functionality to incentivise buying other bolt-ons to the product but it is a frustrating user experience and from a ‘good design’ point of view, it doesn’t make sense to chop colour grading out of main PL and put it in FP. The elephant in the room there is that it’s very much a business / sales choice.

I think hovering above all choices of photo developing applications without experience in on of them as in getting used to then some choices of DxO are more understandable.
(reminder is DxO was earlier a optical pro pluggin kind of application and only 5 years a full developing program.)
The plugging users are still there.
Offering bits and pieces of there hole application biscuit tin keep those people happy and there upgrading fee’s.
On the other hand the “jumpers” towards DxOPL elite are feeling fooled by the spread of near core tools in viewpoint and Filmpack and NIK for that matter.
Most of them are used to the packaged stuffed Adobe products and there “copied siblings”
what is the best route to take for DxO?
Only they know what they think is best for them and the customers.

i just bitt the bitter apple at the start and bought dxo pl elite suite. So upgrading isn’t that steep.
(but i am not a adobe jumper so everyone elses opinion may be different. )

Hello,

How is the color grading actually ?
I am testing PL5, and now 6, since about a month.

I didn’t find that option in PL6 with this much options on colors, maybe it needs FilmPack or NIK collection.
Did it change now, or got improved ?

Thanks.

Hi Francois,

I don’t think anything has changed in PL6 - which comes with basic color grading that only lets you select a few presets.

To unlock proper grading of shadows and highlights you need to get the Filmpack plug in (and even then, I hate to say it, but Lightroom still offers more options in this area - Filmpack only lets you control highlights and shadows where Lightroom also offers mid-tone control).

This thread is a feature request. @Fineus proposes that DxO add colour grading to PhotoLab. All who’d like to see the feature in a future version of DPL cann add their votes by clicking the blue “Vote” button.