Color behavior - Any answer?

Click on my avatar at the top of my post and then on the Direct Message envelope

I can’t send you the NEF.
It is a D850 shot and it is too heavy to be joined (I tryed to compress it with 7zip, but that makes no difference).

How can I do it ?

Unless I missed an option …

Very useful initial answer Joanna. The jpeg preview should be embedded in the NEF. There is no way to bring in Nikon Picture Controls in Photolab that I know of. I’m a Nikon shooter and find I have no need of those controls in Photolab as it’s ten minutes work to emulate them with a preset.

It helps to have FilmPack Elite to create looks to match particular Picture Controls. The palette you are looking for is Color Rendering. Experiment with other camera body profiles as well as both Negative and Positive film presets. Most are excessive but there are a few which work very nicely to slightly boost the contrast and richen colours.

Fine Contrast is similar to the sharpening Nikon might do in camera, as well as the Distortion (for lens correction).

As this is a public forum with public solutions, general etiquette around here is to share the image publicly. If you’d like to chat and work one on one, it’s probably better to do it in email than clutter the forum.

I’d call it “what DxO thinks that the image should look like”, which also depends on what preset is set as default…

1 Like

If the D850 is the same as the D810, you should be able to select the DX image area in the menus and take a shot with that.

Yes. Of course.
I had choosen an already done shoot.
I’ll do one In Dx crop for this purpose.
But I can’t do this today. Will do it at soon as possible.

Thanx.

I always begin with no preset at all.

But what @platypus is saying is that all RAW converters tend to have their own standards for “no corrections”, depending on their demosaicing algorithm

Indeed. “No Correction” results used to be less contrasty and saturated. I’ve seen this development in products from Adobe, PhaseOne, and, DxO. This means that results not only differ between products, but also between different (major) versions of a product.

First as many told the colors and image you see just before the “pop” are the embedded jpeg.
Second, to match the colors of those you need to check the camera colorsettings which are applied in the internal processing for the ooc-jpeg.
Anything else then “default” would not be represented in the camera list in colorrendering anyway.
To match as much as possible make jpeg +raw images, and then select some which could help to create a baseline.
Use the global colorrendering as saturation and vibrance, check auto microcontrast.
Try some camera body’s.
Find a general overall “looks good” and store that as preset.
If you have one camera just select this one as apply alway’s on new images in prefference. If not name it Nikon xxxxx .

Adobe DNG converter, Lightroom and Photoshop come with a load of .dcp profiles that can also be used with PhotoLab in order to match the looks of your raw and ooc .jpg images. They will handle colour and tonality, you can then add some PhotoLab settings to taste and save the lot as new preset. Note that only the “Elite” versions of DPL can save partial presets. “Essential” editions can only save absolute presets. Check out the guide for details.

2 Likes

I have the Gretag Macbeth target and use the X-Rite ColorChecker Camera Calibration app to create my own DCP files.

Do you know of a site from which folks can download ready made DCP files for specific cameras and “flavours” (standard, neutral, vivid, portrait, landscape, flat, etc)?

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

The converter comes with >3000 .dcp profiles including camera specific styles.
The app gets regular updates, mostly with new camera profiles.

3 Likes

Well, I just downloaded the latest build and can’t see where all these profiles are kept.

1. Run the installer
  2. Find 2 folders in /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/
    !!! not /Users/…/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/

Aaaarrrggghhh !!!

Thank you for that. @JoPoV is that of any help to you?

1 Like

Do you use Dropbox or OneDrive? These would be ways to transfer larger files as well.

@JoPoV were the DCP profiles @platypus mentioned of any use?

In Windows 10 these dcp profiles are kept in “C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera”, as I just figured out. I tried these dcp profiles for my Nikon d7500 and they work great. Do a great job of emulating the Nikon picture controls. I had no idea that this could be done until I stumbled upon this post. I had always assumed that I could never use picture controls unless I used the Nikon proprietary software. This has been extremely helpful. Hopefully @JoPoV willl find this helpful as well.

1 Like

Sorry,

Was out for a while (had a lot to do with a very heavy production, no time for forums, only for work).
Will look at it.

Thank you very much !!!