Color Accentuation, Rendering, and HSL

I am fairly new to DXO Photolab 3 and the DXO forum, so if this has already been covered, please direct me to a source for the answer.

What is the difference between Color Accentuation, Color Rendering, and the adjustments that can be made under HSL? How does one know when to use one rather than the other or to use them in combination with each other?
Thank you

Hello!

Under the ‘Color Accentuation’ tab, you have two sliders:

• Saturation
  • Vibrance
    Pushing saturation increases the saturation of (almost) all colors and makes them more vivid. Only perfectly neutral colors like a perfectly neutral grey will remain as they were.
    Pushing vibrance basically does the same, but it has more effect on colors which not yet very vivid. In some software (not sur about DxO) it also ‘protects’ some colors like skin tones.

Under the ‘HSL’ tab, you have a color wheel.
This wheel allows you to perform adjustements selectively. For example if you only want to push the greens and nothing else. it also allows you more adjustement like hue, lightness, uniformity

It’s a very powerfull tool so I think a video tutorial would be the best to explain. Sarch on YouTube.

Under the ‘Color rendering’ tab, you can select differents ‘color renderings’.
Those are more or less like color profiles and deeply change the way colors are rendered.
Some are here to imitate you camera ‘Standard’ default profile, giving the same look as if you were shooting JPEG with default settings.
Some are here to imitate films.
Etc.

1 Like

Frederic,
Thank you for responding. I will do some experimenting with these tabs to gain a better understanding of their potential use.