Clone Tool - Source first?

As good as the clone tool is, I find it isn’t anywhere near as efficient for one of my workflows.

Dust removal

As well as digital work, I also shoot large format film and scan images for restoration of damaged prints/negatives.

This quite often involves a lot of dust removal, as well as repairing of “damaged” areas.

With the Photoshop clone stamp, you select a source area and then start to clone over areas needing repair. This then means that, as soon as you release the mouse from a destination area, the next repair’s source is the same as the previous - very useful when you are cloning out dust spots in a relatively blank area like a sky where, most of the time, a single source area will supply a good match.

There is also the question of the need for markers for both source and destination areas.

If you have to make a few tens of repairs, the image soon becomes covered with patches or outlines, which often makes it very difficult to assess how or where to source the next repair, or even to find where the next repair should go. Yes, you can “turn off” the masks, but that is another step, which can be distracting.

Suggestion

Allow for a mode that defines the source area first, possibly by using the Alt key, then maintains that source area between clonings, with the option of redefining a new source area by using the Alt key again. Yes, this is the same as PS, but the truth is, it works and it works well.

I would further suggest that, for this mode, the default is not to show any markers for destination areas, with the option of showing/hiding source areas with the usual show/hide, as for “normal” cloning.

Choosing the source first would be preferable. It is the same for Affinity using the clone tool and the healing brush as it is for Photoshop.

Je souscris à cette suggestion.
je fais également beaucoup de restaurations de vieilles photos papier familiales …

Hi Joanna

Have a look at these suggestions