Clone/Repair Tool Not Behaving Like Manual Suggests

Does anyone know why I’m not getting the Auto Select I’ve read about for the Clone tool in the online manual? I currently get just a blue circle within a circle with feathered edges. I read the manual and it suggested that DXO automatically selects the area it will pull the clone or repair from. Is there no way to manually pick that area? Either way, I’m not seeing an auto select either.

Edit: This is the correct procedure for using the Auto-Masking brush, not the Clone/Repair brush.

Hi Daniel. The trick is to keep the inner circle inside the boundry of the object that you wish to mask, and let the outer circle slightly go over the edge. Then fill in the rest of the area. You may have to go back and fill in gaps that you missed. Please note that the blue mask indicator has no relationship to the actual masked area. A way to see the actual masked area is to lower the exposure to -100. You will see the gaps that you need to go back to. Unfortunately there is no way to automatically see the mask.

@danieljcox If you are on Windows then you need to show the Tools overlay at the top of your image. Your will see a small icon overlaying your image at the top left and if you click it it will expand to the tools you require. On Mac or is different and should be below your image.

See page 115 of the PL5 manual.

Unfortunately the Windows and Mac versions are quite different in places so check the manual carefully and read the sections for windows (if they exist)!

This is for the automask tool which is different to the clone/repair tool the OP is talking about.

1 Like

Correct. It would help if I read the title of the thread before I post. :blush: :rofl:

Are you using PhotoLab 5? First be aware that you can only increase or decrease the size of the mask tool before you draw a mask. When you draw the mask over the area to be removed, by default PhotoLab will automatically create a replacement area mask. To see the masks make sure that Show Masks is selected. Often the automatically selected mask is spot on, but more often one mask or the other needs its position adjusted. You can move either mask by selecting the pin in it with a mouse. You can also control the amount of feathering and the amount of opacity of a selected mask, and additionally you can switch back and forth between Clone and Repair, but you cannot alter a mask’s size or shape after its been drawn. If a mask has the wrong size or shape you can delete it and start over or add additional masks.

Mark .

I’ve been less than pleased with both photo labs tool as well as Lightroom classic tool… So just the other day I downloaded an app I used to use a lot on my mobile phone when that was the only camera I had its touch retouch app and as far as I’m concerned it seems to be the best most reliable one and when it comes to none of the situation to make you wanna pull your hair out lol I like the way the clones I feel like I have more control over… I’m not sure what system you use I have a MacBook Air and I download it and while it’s not ideal as I don’t like having to keep sending it to different software’s, it does accept tifffs
(touch retouch)‎TouchRetouch on the Mac App Store