ClearView plus

If I correct pictures, Photolab builds a new file. Two questions: Have I to save the special file or can I use the corrected picture without the second file?

When I delete the second file it seems, that I don’t need the second file.

If I take than the corrected picture an use ClearView plus once more, the picture changes again.

I thought, once correct a picture with ClearView plus gives me the best picture???

Hello Wole,

welcome to the forum!

What second file are you talking about? All your edits are just a receipe and applied only when to the raw-file when you export i.e a jpg or tiff. The raw file is never touchted by that, hence the non-destructive workflow.

PS: you posted in the wrong subsection of the forum “Feature request” - just for future posts.

The second file that PhotoLab creates is known as a sidecar and just contains a record of all the changes you have made but no actual image. PhotoLab combines the two together to give you the edited result you see in the main window.

If you delete the .dop file, the changes are still in an internal database and you can recreate the .dop file from the database if you want to. Personally, I always work with .dop files but the choice is up to you.

Because, even though you have deleted the .dop file, your changes are recorded in the database, what you are doing with ClearView Plus is just editing the previous value. You can’t apply the same (global) adjustment more than once, but you can with local adjustments.

1 Like

As said above, the .dop sidecar file (and/or database) contain recipes for how the raw file is developed. The original raw file isn’t touched. The sidecar file/database can contain more than one recipe if you create a Virtual Copy. That way you can compare two (or more) different treatments for the raw file, e.g., with and without ClearView Plus.

Hello,
Welcom to the forum.
in preferences you can see which way your editing is safed.
A imagename.dop is a file where DxOPL writes the changed settings when you leave a image for the next. And it safes this also in the DataBase.
If you delete the dop file it uses the database data to regenerate a new dopfile.
If you delete the database then the dopfiles are used to regenerate the database.

If you don’t like extra files , called sidecars, you could uncheck read and write dopfiles.
One problem if your database get corrupted you lose all corrections you ever made.

Personally i lean more on dopfiles then the Database.

Second, if you use keywords then it’s good to know it’s only safed in the database and “stuck inside the Database”. It’s better to use a XMP-sidecar file which then alike the dopfile functions as a source to fill the database. (Note: Changing inside dxo does not change xmpfile unlike the dopfile.)

Assuming you use rawfiles, you can change and export and change and export as much as you like. DxOPL is nondestructive on the sourcefile.
When using tiff or jpeg aslong as you don’t override the sourcefile the same rule is active.

About clearviewplus itself, the effect is mostly visible when zoomed in at 70%.

Peter

Hi Peter,
don’t understand this :
About clearviewplus itself, the effect is mostly visible when zoomed in at 70%.

Not on my equipment ! On the contrary, better to have a full image preview to set good setting.

Regards

Hi, let me explain,
Clearview is a intelligent algorithm which applies microcontrast in such a way that the haze, lack of blacklevel, is less visisible.
And by concentrating on edges it sharpens the color change edges at the same time giving a sharper look to enhance lost sharpnes due haze.
These two actions are given you that saturated and clear and contrasty sharp effect.

In full view you see the spread microcontrast acting as adding blacklevel creating the less hazy clearer view but NOT the sharpening effect on the edges.
This you can preview at 70-100-400% or after export in your jpeg. (which can have a negative effect when it’s oversharpenend and causes moiré on my tv for example.

I can send your some examples if you like.

Edit:
Blacklevel is near 0 black. And contrast is basicly saturating a color by lowering lumination. Lumination at level 0 is black. Be aware that blacklevel is not exactly the same as microcontrast. Blacklevel attach the histogram to the left and does no sharpening on edges wile microcontrast is a sharpening tool.
See this for visualisation

1 Like

@sgospodarenko Does this thread need moving from here?

Good morning,

You are right @Joanna, I’ve moved it.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.