Change selected image when group of images is selected

Well, that might be what you see as “current biggest weakness” . I do make a difference between the product and the way a company interacts with it’s clients/customers. There might be cool programmers who hate to get involved in forum debates. So, for me even a better communication would not solve the shortcomings PL has in my eyes or my wishful thinking.

And you’re absolutely right, it brings out the cynic in a lot of us as the feeling of disappointment grows, the less attention feature requests do get.

I can also talk to a wall, but usually that has no financial impact on me. :grin: but when it comes to customer relations, especially to a forum with a huge number of helpful members who appear to have better knowledge than the manual provides, AND are active alpha testers helping the company to save costs, my patience with that company is a bit very short.

thanks so much to all of you for the detailed responses

unless i’m mistaken though, none of the suggestions do what i need? creating a project or filtering by colour (or other) reduces the images to my selection, but i still can’t select specific images while keeping all images selected

also, if i look at the filmstrip when multiple images are selected, it’s not possible to see which image within the selection is selected

i often need to take hundreds of very similar photos to feed into photogrammetry software to create 3d models of real items. my goal is to process the images as quickly as possible and the processing is very different to how i would process “regular” photos. there is no ‘art’ involved, just preparing them so they are good enough to be processed by the modeling software

by far the quickest way to do this is to select all images, adjust exposure as needed, and then spot check the images to make sure none are excessively under/over exposed, adjusting along the way

the options suggested help in this regard, but AFAICT it’s not possible to keep the selection which switching images (other than arrow key method, but that’s too slow and there are usually hundreds, often thousands of images to process)

it’s super convenient to have the requested options in some cases so hopefully they could be considered for future updates

The selected image you see in the edit window is marked with a white frame in the film strip. Are you working with one or two screens? Eventually one very wide screen? Here in the office I’m workingon a 5120 × 1440, at home on a 5K and 4K screen. You can put the “filmstrip” to the right or left side of your edit window and increase it’s size, then you see much more images than only the few below.

However, it’s not super comfortable to work in that setting as I always need to click somewhere in the window to make PL focus from filmstrip to edit window (on a Mac, usually every other app can “see” if the cursor is in it’s window or not and react directly to mouse input)

This is what you’re looking for, @john_jay
Use the arrow keys only.
BEWARE: As soon as you click with your mouse, the selection is lost.

@john_jay Why do you believe that you need to keep images selected while adjusting a single image!?

We have been attempting to find ways of achieving what you specifically asked for instead of asking why you wanted to be able to do that, i,e. what problem were you trying to “solve”?

DxPL will allow you to select multiple images up to and including all in a directory and then enter ‘Customize’ mode and select edit options that will be applied to every single one of the selected images or use a preset and apply it to all the images in the selection! The selection of one or more images is the target for the edits!

You can do this as many times as you want with differing subsets of images until you finally trawl through the images adjusting the “stragglers”. I would probably use projects to keep track and/or colour labels to identify “progress” but I don’t think they are necessary and I don’t understand or believe that there is an issue!?

You don’t need to keep all images selected, the boundary is the directory and the images are not about to “stray”! If you are only working with a subset from the images taken by the camera then the selection becomes a project and that establishes new boundaries and you can have as many projects and subprojects as you need (if you need any at all) so we need to understand your workflow to see if/how we can use DxPL to accomplish it!

You took us through the exposure adjustments, what other steps would you be looking at!

i thought my post would explain what i’m trying to do :slight_smile:

this is a purely technical process to make a set of images as “readable” as possible so i can feed them to a photogrammetry software

the process involves making adjustments to exposure, raising shadows, taming highlights etc, with the aim of making all images as similar as possible in terms of overall tonemapping. the less time i spend on this the better

the quickest way to do this is to just select all images and work on them at the same time. after i make some changes (e.g. increase exposure) i check the film strip to see if any images look blown. i select one or two that might look problematic and if there are any i might try some highlight recovery. again, these changes should be applied to all images

i might then see some images that are too dark. rather than increase exposure i might raise shadows… the idea is to fuss as little as possible in as little time as possible

i guess it’s not the end of the world if i have to select an image, then hit Ctrl-A to select them all, then make changes, rinse and repeat. it’s just faster and less error prone to do it the way i’ve been doing it in LR hence why i asked if it’s possible in PL

of course i don’t process regular photos like this but let’s say i have 100 ‘regular’ photos to process, and 30 of them are all quite similar. i select those 30, make some adjustments but then want to check a different image that is amongst the 30 selected

the only way to do this is to lose the selection, select the different image then reselect the 30 again. using the arrow keys is too slow. using filters is an option but it’s simply not as convenient as just selecting the images you want to edit and just be able to switch without dropping the selection

pls see my post above. arrow keys aren’t much use when you have hundreds, or even thousands of images selected

@john_jay Thank you for making it clear and you are already using the group editing technique that I discussed in my post.

Sorry but the only practical way is Ctrl-A, I believe, to reselect all as you return to group editing after you have adjusted those that don’t “conform” after the previous group edit.

I was attempting to answer the original request without understanding the problem you were trying to solve and I should have asked about the workflow at the beginning, sorry for all the suggestions that were never going to solve your problem!

My original use of DxPL was for JPGs and I would select one image, apply one of my “standard” presets, adjust for the conditions of the visit to the garden and then ‘Copy the adjustments’, Ctrl-A and ‘Paste’ to anything between 300 to 500 images.

Then look for the stand-out “failures” from the group adjustments and start making presets pertinent to the visit but still looking to achieve the most fixes with the fewest variations in presets, the only ‘Local adjustment’ would be a graduated filter (when that became available). The “best” images might get special treatment but they would need to be worth the effort.

Many thanks for your patience and sorry if I wasted your time, the feature you need is not available.

Regards

Bryan

At first this was not specified in the first post. At second it might be good idea to send that pointless filmstrip into retirement :smile: When working with hundreds or more images, it’s the worst way to use a filmstrip.

The dark grey frames are the not selected, the lighter grey frames the selected group and the single one with white frame is the reference.

… or undock it and make it as big as sensible on a second screen.

Other than that, working on hundreds or thousands of images at the same time is possibly not the most effective way, even though it eases the task to make images look similar.

That’s what I did as well, I just would not call it a “filmstrip” any longer, it’s an image browser which also benefits of scaling the thumbnails down to see more of them. It apparently looks different than @john_jay’s screenshot, in his all filmstrip images do show a white frame. Windows/Apple difference or docked/undocked difference?

Well, if it’s photogrammetry the task is another than working creatively on single shots. I think, thanks to PL’s real synchronisation (Capture One only claims to work the same on a selection, actually I have to select one image and apply it’s adjustments with two clicks to the others), it is one of the most effective ways to deal with RAWs which need to be edited exactly the same.