Change request: Wording in Soft Proofing help text could be more complete and clear

Here’s the current wording explaining the point & purpose of Soft Proofing;

This is incomplete, and reinforces the misconception that SP is relevant only where; a) the export target is a printer, or; b) is a different device to one’s current monitor.

• That’s incorrect; SP is also advisable (when using the new Wide-Gamut WCS) even if everything one is doing is all on the same monitor … That is; including editing within PL, exporting to that monitor’s ICC Profile, and consuming the result on the same monitor.

• If the reason for this is unclear to you; please do ask me.

Better wording would be something like : Activating Soft Proofing simulates how an image will look when exported to disk with the selected ICC Profile (assuming the current monitor can render that ICC Profile) or once printed.

John M

Yes it’s bit lacking in the short sentence.

The User Guide explain this much better for those who are new to the concept.

Soft proofing is not limited to printing, it also lets you simulate specific display renderings for where you plan to present your images (TV, tablets, etc.).

https://userguides.dxo.com/photolab/en/advanced-image-processing/#soft_proofing

1 Like

Well, it is correct. :man_shrugging:

That’s incorrect; SP is also advisable (when using the new Wide-Gamut WCS) even if everything one is doing is all on the same monitor … That is; including editing within PL, exporting to that monitor’s ICC Profile, and consuming the result on the same monitor.

Possible, but redundant. – Provided the system is properly set up, the display profile in use takes care for that.

please note:
Softproof is likewise useful in PL6 Classic-Legacy mode. – If to judge the expected output as good as possible, make use of the softproof.

1 Like

The monitors gamut/icc profile will always be the limiting factor. What I see is in that gamut, mine is sRGB or the calibrated version of it.
Choosing an ICC profile in soft proofing doesn’t replace the working color gamut. All editing is still done in that working color gamut.

George

2 Likes

Yes - That’s spot-on, George (= absolutely correct) - and that’s why we’re best advised to use the new DxO Wide Gamut setting for WCS … even when our intended output is to a less-wide color gamut (such as sRGB).

However, the catch is that very few PLv6 users seem to be appreciating the implications of this

(from DxO Support pages).

John M

From what I read in that link is that another rendering intent is used when exported or viewing in soft proof.
I think that is still an under rated item in the discussions.

George

You’re spot-on once again, George … :white_check_mark:

This was explained to us during beta-testing (and it’s also referred to, albeit obliquely, in the FAQ mentioned above); That is;

An additional algorithm is applied to protect saturated colors (during the process of converting from one color space to another). We were told it was similar (but in concept only) to the protect saturated colors (PSC) function that’s applied via the same-named slider in Color Rendering.

As you say, we were advised that this additional PSC algorithm is applied in two cases, during Export and within PL when SP=ON.

Absolutely - - I’ve been trying to get this across for a while now - Thanks for your help, George.

John M