Can't open Canon EOS R5 tif files after export to Topaz DeNoise

I am exporting Canon EOS R5 CR3 file as tiff to Application: Topaz DeNoise.
The tiff-file that is returned to DxO PL 4 Elite can’t be opened - see screenshot for error message.

When I do the same with Raw files from Canon EOS R6 or 5D Mark IV there is no problem. Are the R5 files to big for DxO, approx. 350 MB?

I can’t answer you question, but I am curious why you are denoising your raw files in Topaz Denoise AI and sending TIFFs back to PhotoLab for further processing. Besides being a Photolab 4 Elite user I also have a license for Topaz Denoise AI version 3. The results when using DeepPRIME from within Photolab 4 is not only far superior to Topaz Denoise but also simplifies your workflow.

Mark

2 Likes

Hello,

I’ve opened a bug to look into it.

@chris-photography could you, please, upload it to upload.dxo.com under your forum name and let me know when ready ?

Regards,
Marie

Thanks Marie.
I am afraid I am unsuccessful in uploading the file on the link you provided. I’ll give it a try again tomorrow. I can however provide some new relevant information. Since I made the post I have discovered that if I export the file at 50% size to the Topaz application, DxO PL will open the returned file without any errors. Also, my files from the Canon R6, which are noticeably smaller, will open at full size in DxO PL after editing in Topaz. It seems like the issue is related to the big size of the R5 16-bit tiff files, which are +300 MB.

Thanks @chris-photography ,

this information will help us. We should be able to reproduce the problem.

Regards,
Marie

Hi again Marie,

Unfortunately I can’t upload the file. The status bar just goes on forever and nothing happens and I also get the message “Forum username invalid”. I have uploaded the tiff file to my creative cloud instead - do you have an email where I can send a link so that you can download the file?

Regards,
Chris

Did you try to upload the file at upload.DXO.com?

Mark

I have a similar problem I have posted about previously, without a response. My issue is that I used to import Canon’s CR2 files into Lightroom and convert to DNG in that process. DxO PureRaw will work with those DNG files properly. But the DNG conversion from the new CR3 RAW format files does not work in DxO PureRaw. I have had to stop converting to DNG and just use the CR3 format.

Hello @SimonB ,

PhotoLab support only uncompressed dng images from Adobe dng converter.

So option “Lossy compression” in preferences must be unchecked.

Can you tell me if you use it and if so test uncompressed option ?

Regards,
Marie

I am doing the conversion from RAW to DNG when importing from the camera’s memory card into Lightroom. I am not using the separate adobe DNG converter App, so my settings options look different than the one you have posted. However, my settings in LR have Use Lossy Compression unchecked, as they should be. I didn’t change the process when I started importing the new CR3 files (from the Canon R5 camera), from when I had been importing the CR2 format files from my older Canon 7Dii. It is those newer DNG files that DxO won’t read. The older DNGs from the 7D work fine.

Hi Marie,

Thank you for all the effort you put in to DxO PL. It works now in PL 5 (haven’t tested in PL 4 yet), albeit with a few inconsistencies:

In Topaz DeNoise (3.3.3), first, upon export to the application from DxO, a tif file is created, named “_openWith.tif”. After processing in DeNoise, another tif is then created in the same folder by PL, now named after the processing method in DeNoise, named “_openWith-DeNoise-AI-standard.tif”. So after having finished the editing in DeNoise, one needs to manually trash the first unprocessed tif file that PL created.

In Topaz Sharpen AI (3.2.1), on the other hand, everything works seamlessly, the “_openWith.tif” is created by PL and then, when the processing in Sharpen AI is saved, the “_openWith.tif” is updated by PL, without creating another tif file.

Tested with CR3 RAW-files (full size not CRAW) from the EOS R5 and EOS R6

Kind regards,
Chris

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your input and apologies for the late reply. Topaz gets rid of the noise in uniform areas like a sky much better than Deep Prime. A very noisy dark blue nighttime sky can’t be remedied by Deep Prime, whereas Topaz cleans it up impressively.

Kind regards,
Chris

Hello @chris-photography ,

thanks for your answers.
We will look at the extra images issue.

Concerning denoising could you provide us an image so we can reproduce it ?

Best regards,
Marie

Hi Marie,

Sorry for the late reply. I looked further into the issue and found out that the inconsistencies with extra tiff files being created happens inside the Topaz apps, not DxO.

Kind regards,

Chris