Canon RF 24-240

Yes, you have that right, MalcomC. The vignette is a well-known characteristic “feature” of this lens and it is supposed to be that way. Everyone who has reviewed it has pointed this out. As Dustin Abbot put it . . .

" . . .what I saw was clearly a mechanical vignette – an obstruction that kept the corners of the frame from receiving light at all [as Perfrode correctly pointed out]. This was one of the compromises that Canon had to make to make this lens work. […] The lens actually frames wider than the physical design allows for, and then, when corrected, it shows the proper look at 24mm. […] You can see just how much latitude that Canon is giving itself for digital correction. One just has to accept that this is part of the len’s design, in that it was clearly not possible for them to go all the way to 24mm without something having to give." https://dustinabbott.net/2020/04/canon-rf-24-240mm-f4-6-3-is-review/

1 Like

Good morning,

So as I see @Joanna you solved the issue and my help is of no need anymore :ok_hand:

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi @sgospodarenko
Yes, Joanna has fixed the problem. All we need to do is to tick the ‘keep aspect ratio’ on the distortion tool.

Is there any reason why I should not update the ‘DXO optical corrections only’ preset to make ‘keep aspect ratio’ as its default setting?

@richsfusa
Thank you for your input - the review made an interesting read.

Best wishes
Malcolm

The “system” presets are not editable. Just download the preset I supplied in an earlier post

1 Like
  • It’s up to your taste actually. But as @Joanna already pointed you can’t modify the default preset. You can create a copy of it and modify or take the one suggested above.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Which is an edited copy of the DxO one :nerd_face:

@Joanna
@sgospodarenko
Thank you both for you replies. I hadn’t appreciated that you can’t edit the default presets. I’ve already installed the preset that Joanna posted and it works perfectly.

Thank you again for your time and expertise.

2 Likes

You do what you want. If you are happy, then all is well. :smile: Good luck with your back. I hope you get well! :crossed_fingers:

:+1: Some people can live with it, some not. I think that Canon however should be honest about this. It should say on the Canon pages and be informed about by the sellers. “At 24 mm on a full frame camera, some vignetting may be present that may be difficult to correct even in post processing”.

The lens is actually wider than 24mm and is designed to be used with software to get rid of the “vignetting”. As I’m sure you’re aware, software correction is widely used these days, especially with more budget lenses. I believe that even after it’s been cropped, the result is still wider than 24mm.

I’ve made some comparisons with other 24 mm and this one is not worse than other 24-XXX zooms.
But the change in DPL behaviour is a step back.

I don’t have one but it’s been well received and is known by some as the best super-zoom made so far, so I expect it performs OK for what it is :slight_smile: