Canon EOS R5 + Sigma Sport 500mm f4 + 1.4x

This is on Windows 10, for what it’s worth.

DxO Photolab 4 does not seem to recognize this combo properly. I downloaded the matching modules, but the interface still shows the lens as some sort of generic “980mm f/5.6”. The same lens combo works properly on a Canon 7D mk II, and Canon Digital Photo Pro shows the right EXIF info about the lens.

Thoughts? Workarounds?

Hello @racunniff,

Could you, please, provide us with a sample image? Please, upload it to upload.dxo.com under your forum name instead of ‘support ticket number’ and let us know when it’s ready.

P.S. Is your combo in this list?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Done, thanks. Yes, it is the “500mm F4 DG OS HSM S with EF1.4x III”. I have tried with both the Sigma 1.4x TC-1401 and the Canon EF 1.4x III, with the same outcome (lens is reported as a generic “980mm f/5.6” lens by PL4).

Both the Canon control-ring EF-RF adapter and the Canon pass-through EF-RF adapter were tried, with the same outcome. No issue with my adapted 100-400mm f/5.6L II,with or without teleconverter. Also no issue with the Sigma 500 F4 without teleconverter.

Thank you @racunniff.

@Marie could you, please, investigate it?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @racunniff,

to investigate that we need an image of test made with the

• Canon R5 + 500mm F4 DG OS HSM S with EF1.4x III (Sigma)
  • Canon R5 + 500mm F4 DG OS HSM S with EF1.4x III (Canon)

It is probably related to an information in Exif we don’t have so we need to update our database but to retreive that info and check it works we need test images.

Regards,
Marie

You should already have an image of the test made with the Sigma 1401 TC (it is IMG_1152.CR3, I think - the picture of the dog looking off to the right). I have also uploaded IMG_1155.CR3, which is a picture of a tree trunk, taken with the EF1.4x III (dog with eyes closed), and IMG_1156.CR3, which was taken without any teleconverter (a tree trunk; PL4 properly reports its info). Please let me know if you need anything else.

Hello @racunniff,

thanks for images, I got them all.

This 980mm F5.6 comes from the Exif, it’s like it considers there are 2 extenders 1.4x mounted :frowning:
Well, this is wrong, I’ll pass the images to the developpers in charge of Exif to have a fix because we rely on Exif for optical correction.

regards,
Marie

1 Like

Thanks! It definitely only had one 1.4x attached :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, this is still a problem with PL 4.1. Probably expected, with QA cycles, etc. but just wanted to report.

Hello!

I use the same combo (Canon EOS R5 with Sigma 500mm f/4 for canon with Canon EF Extender 1,4xIII) and have the same problem.

I use the latest version DxO PhotoLab 4.1.3 build 49.

I also downloaded the right optical module - but nothing happens.

When will you fix the bug?

Greetings

Stephan

Hello @alterahornand @racunniff,

fix for that issue will be in next update of PL4 which won’t be too long, probably in March.

Regards,
Marie

Thank you very much.

Hello @racunniff and @alterahorn ,

PhotoLab 4.2 is online and contains the fix for the lens.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Hello @Marie ,

thank you so much.

I just made the update and everything works fine now - your team really did a great job.

Greetings from Germany

Stephan

2 Likes

I just downloaded and tried it and it works perfectly - thanks! It makes an easily visible improvement in images captured with the combo. Nice work!

2 Likes