Canon 90D settings

The 90 D has several settings such as highlight tone priority, auto lighting optimized and distortion correction that seem similar to PL functions. Two questions: Are the functions applied to both the jpg and raw files? Should they be turned OFF?

I don’t know Canon cameras but these sound like the kind of settings that will only be applied to jpeg files and that will affect what you see on the back of the camera.

RAW files are just that. Raw, untouched data straight from the sensor.

On my Nikon, I turn off everything to give the the flattest, most neutral rendering possible, so that I am not deceived by what I see on the back of the camera

Should be switched off since it affects exposure. You can’t go lower then ISO 200 if enabled, the RAW will be underexposed by one stop.

The others affect only JPG so not really relevant as long as you shoot RAW only.

I dug a little deeper and found there is nothing in the Canon docs that addresses if presets like high light tone priority are applied to both jpg and raw. However, I found pics on the web showing raw IS effected. I conclude, turn it OFF if you want your raws virgin.

I think too that it affects only jpeg and also videos (which can be useful if u don’t color grade ur videos). And if you shoot raw+jpg i suppose the camera shows the jpg preview if curling with the screen. Some like to modify the jpg preview, to have a view of what could be the image once processed, some don’t.
With mirrorless camera (at least contrast detection sensor) it can help to focus if you increase contrast.
Easy to check

Calle is right though!
HTP does really affect the RAW since it changes (lowers) the exposure and the tone-curve that is internally applied for the JPG! Which is something a 3rd Party Raw Converter needs to be aware of.
Haven’t really tested yet if PL4 does interpret it correctly but i hope so!

LR/ACR for example had many problems with HTP Files when the feature was new but that’s been more than a decade ago and i think DXO should by now be well aware that this feature exists. :wink:

But the rest of the options like ALO and Distortion Correction e.g. only have an effect on the OOC JPGs. (maybe with the exception of cRAW…or mRAW/sRAW for the older *.CR2 Canons)

It would be nice if DXO would mention what settings they turned off/on on the camera when testing the camera/lens combination - could easily be done on the website. So we could use those on our cameras knowing that PL would then work as expected. What do you think guys?

Hello,

Some cameras have modes to improve dynamic of images. For example:

Auto dynamic range (Sony)
Sensitivity priority (Pentax)
Highlight or lowlight priority (Canon)
Mode bright (Pentax)

To improve dynamic of images these modes apply an over or under exposure at shot and compensate it with a different tone curve of the standard mode.

For example, highlight priority mode of Canon make the camera take an under exposed shot and apply a tone curve to get same light in shadows and mid tones but TC is smoother on highlights to preserve details.

Rawconversion done by PhotoLab doesn’t take these modes into account and so RAW images can be over or under exposed. Taht’s what happens with the Vanon 90D.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Marie,
If I understand correctly. If I want an uncorrected raw file, all modes that effect dynamic range should be OFF.

To be very pedantic, these settings do nothing to the contents of the actual file, they just change the exposure of the shot, anticipating that a compensation will be applied if it were a jpeg. Because the compensation is not applied to the RAW file, you end up with a “wrongly” exposed image that will need compensating in PL. In which case, it is definitely a good idea to disable such modes.

1 Like

@jamhen2, what Joanna sais is exact.

Regards,
Marie

I’ll repeat what I’ve said elsewhere. RAW is supposed to be the raw sensor data. Anything that affects the data the sensor receives will affect a RAW file, naturally. That means the “true” exposure settings: shutter speed and aperture. Any settings that change your shutter speed and aperture will affect the RAW file.

There is one general caveat: the ISO boost is performed before the sensor data is recorded, so the ISO setting also affects the RAW file.

Then there is a second non-general caveat: if you own a Canon R4/R6, Canon performs some non-optional noise reduction before the data is recorded into the RAW file. It’s a very odd noise reduction, as it is only performed at low ISOs (not high ISOs, as one might expect). In my mind, this is no longer “raw” data and is a dangerous step to take. I wouldn’t have believed this if I hadn’t read it on several reliable websites.

Looking further, I found that Pentax had done the same earlier. So I have to amend my declaration: RAW should be the raw sensor data, but there it is not a law that camera makers have to follow. For the Canon 90D, though, it’s just the total exposure triangle, however you get to the final shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

One more thing that confuses people: many software tools use the metadata to set the default view (e.,g. initial color balance, the EV +0 point, etc.). This doesn’t mean the RAW file is affected by these settings, it’s just that it makes the most sense for the initial RAW image to be displayed based on some of your camera’s settings. Each software program will make its own decisions on what gets used and in what way, but you can override the choices (e.g. change the color balance, increase/decrease the exposure, etc.).

1 Like