Cannot install Nik Collection in MacOS Big Sur

Just where did you find them installed? I thought they would be in Applications, but nay… I can find AnalogEfex and only that.

1 Like

Now updated, I’ve re downloaded and is now working

1 Like

Thanks for checking this morning. I’ve re-installed an it now works for me.

1 Like

Hello guys,
yesterday I have upgraded to BigSur. Unfortunately my Nik Collection 2 has the same problem. Did anyone tried Nik Collection 2 on BigSur?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cannot install Nik Collection 2 in MacOS Big Sur. Nik Collection 2 could not be installed on Big Sur. An upgrade to Nik Collection 3 costs 80 Euro. I do not know if it is worth it, because it may turn out that you have to pay 80 Euro. The manufacturer is unreliable, especially since version 2 did not work properly with Photoshop.

2 Likes

Hola como lo hizo?

Yes, I bought Nik Collection 2 less than a year ago. Tried the trial version of 3, decided there’s nothing new in it for me so went to reinstall 2 only to find it’s not possible. I used the trial in good faith - nowhere does DXO warn you that doing so will make 2 unusable. It’s simply a scam. I contacted support and found the agent rude and unhelpful. Very disappointing…

I’d add: I just installed the Demo of Nik Collection 3 on my Mac (Big Sur) and I had to find out that the “Analog Efex” tool (virtually the only one I ever use) is still on version 2! In other words: I bought Nik Collection 2 with Analog Efex 2 which now will no longer work, however it works in the paid upgrade 3.3, but is still on version 2.
Sorry, not acceptable. I just want to work my bought Analog Efex 2 to work with Big Sur. No other update needed.

Hi, I just tried to use DxO Nik collection 2 for the first time under Big Sur, and neither have I been abel to launch my installed Nik tools, nor could I do a fresh install of the DxO Nik collection under Big Sur. I think I haven’t used Nik collection 2 more than 5 or 7 times since purchase, so I certainly will NOT buy a new version.
However I do expect DxO (do you read or hear, DxO???) to release an updated version of NC2 that works with Big Sur. I bought the program and do not want another quasi subscription model to make it work with my latest OS. So please release a fix soon, otherwise - that is for sure - Nik Collection 2 will stay my last DxO program I ever bought.

1 Like

Hi,
Unfortunately, I don’t have good news. There will be no upgrade from version 2 to Big Sur. I had to buy version 3. Although I admit that I tried to talk to the producer. They hide behind the notation that version 2 is Catalina and earlier OS versions.

Absolutely agree. They are behaving like a scam company…

Annual paid upgrades are the mean version of a kind of subscription,
BUT we’re always free to NOT upgrade or jump ship.

No free lunch: If we always want the newest stuff, we need to consider that we’ll have to pay too. Will your car dealer give you a new car for free, just because you built a new carport?

1 Like

“No free lunch: If we always want the newest stuff, we need to consider that we’ll have to pay too.” Did you read all that was said above? I do not want “the newest stuff” , all I want is that my bought “Nik collection” is useable under Big Sur. More specifically, I almost exclusively use “analog Efex 2”. The new Nik collection version (I run the demo right now) still has the same “analog Efex 2” basically no new features since the Google version, maybe a slight speed bump, I am not even sure about that. So they already cashed in for “almost nothing”, they want to do that again for another 70 bucks or so?
This is too little for way too much money. I’d probably accept a low 10-15 buck adaption fee for BigSur, but 70 USD woudl require real new features or significant updates in the user interface. All of which does not happen, at least in Silver and Analog Efex.
I say it again, if I do not get access for my Analog Efex again, this will have been my last DxO product ever. The asked “upgrade” price is not justified. But I certainly will contact them directly.

1 Like

Bernie,
The Google version of NIK is 32 bit, the DXO version 64 bit.

I’m not an engineer. But, I believe this means compatibility for several years. So, it might look the same, but it is different.

Sure, but I already bought “Nik Tools” by DxO, just version 2, not 3. And some of the tolls like “analog Efex” are even numbered the same, “version 2”. It is just the compatibility with Big Sur. And that should not be charged 70 bucks or so.

Open terminal
go to the directory where your app is located.

SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1 open Nik\ Collection.app

and voila…

1 Like

It’s not a 32 bits problem. The Nik Collection 2012 runs on Mac m1 under Big Sur. Unfortunately it does not exploit the Gpu. It’s the only application that works slower than on my old Mac Mini Late 2012.

I have a solution for Lightroom Classic and thought I would share.
I believe the issue here is that the initial part of the DXO Free NIK Tools is a 32bit application. Big Sur only allows 64bit installers.
The work around is a little awkward, but does allow you to keep using the tools.
Check out this 15 minute video to get the basic concept.

So - Step by step…

1. Download the new Version 3 DXO NIK Tools and install.
    This is a necessary step as it effectively “sets” the MAC Big Sur system for the next steps
  2. Uninstall the V3 DXO NIK Tools
  3. Download the Free version of the DXO Tools.
  4. Click to start the installation, but don’t install. Instead when you see the 2 large Icons, right click and select “Show Package Contents”.
    This will open a Finder Window where you can navigate to Contents | Resources
    In this folder you will see each NIK Tool’s installer for example “Define2.tar.gz”
  5. Double click each tar installer.
    You will now have separate folders for each Tool in the same directory as the main DXO_NikCollection.dmg
  6. Open a new Finder window
  7. Navigate to “Macintosh HD | Applications” and create a New Folder. Name it Nik Collection
  8. Drag each Application from the folders you unpacked earlier into this new folder.
  9. As you do, each Application will now be available in the Mac Launchpad screen

OK - So we now have working stand alone Applications.
To add them to LightRoom Classic, add each App as a separate External Editor Program as per this instruction…

For those that do follow this procedure, I suggest you also keep in mind;

• The DxO versions of the Nik Collection has seen continual gradual improvements in the “foundations” of these tools - bringing them up-to-date with latest technologies & OSs, etc

• It would not be at all unexpected for DxO to release some major updates in future versions.

So, even if you do install the Free version for now, I recommend you keep an eye out for the features & benefits of each new DxO release …

John M

1 Like

Wow, only looked back now, and Jakc Chevrier ist the man! Thank you so much, as a relative Mac OS-X newbie I don’t really know how to work with the terminal app, but with some trial and error I finally (!) was able to install Nik Collection 2.5 on Big Sur. This proves that the plugins themselves are very well able to work, it is just that the installer somehow is not adapted, which is only a superficial thing.
Again, anybody who still tries to install older versions of DxO Nik collection on Big Sur, this seems to work. I only tried Nik Collection 2.5, so I do not know for 2.0 or even Google Nik collection. Try yourself and thanks again Jakc…