Bugs with Timelapses

(Léo RENAULT) #1

Hi !

Am I the onely one with Timelapses bugs (like re-set of the DxO during the session) when my phone is connected to my DxO by direct Wi-Fi ?

Best regards,
Léo

(cseyve) #2

Hi Léo,

Thank you for your report.
Reboots are triggered by detection of a system failure, would you please help us reproduce the problem by giving us more information:

• interval used
  • output format (video / JPEG / video + RAW)
  • type of card (U1, U3), brand and model
  • filesystem: exFAT / FAT32? Fragmentation makes the writing slower, we measured better performances on freshly formated cards.
  • additional information: does it reboot when you try to reconnect, when the phone is back in the Wifi range?

Thank you for your help,

Christophe

(Léo RENAULT) #3

Ok, no problem !

So you want me to try all the differents cases ?

But, what do you mean by “interval used” ?

For now, I can tell you that my card is a “SanDisk Ultra Plus 64Go U1 XC1”.
I don’t know what the actual filesystem is, but I’ll try to format the card with the differents filesystems.

(For the last session that I’ve done, I was at 1 picture every 9 secondes for 3 hours, in the “video+raw” mode)
I noticed that the bugs arrives when I’m connect in direct Wi-Fi (and local Wi-Fi) with the DxO One. Generally, the first bug arrives when I tried to reconnect after a few moment “far” from the DxO One, when I came back to the room where it is.
But it arrives also when I do nothing, even when I stay in the same room as this one.
Then, I intends it to restart a few times, and when I check the TimeLapse, it’s fragmented in a lot of mini films.

But there are no bugs when I program the device before, and let it record by itself (without any connection and any Wi-Fi during the session). After the session, I get back a perfect movie in a single piece.

(By the way, sorry for my English, I’m French)

Best regards,
Léo

(cseyve) #4

Hi

I’m French too, we speak the same English :wink:

By the “interval used”, I meant how many seconds between shots. For short intervals, the whole system is very loaded, so it’s better to use video only. If you use 9s for Video + DNG, it should be enough with a U1 card. For 4-8 s, U3 is mandatory, but if you really want to use 4 s with DNG output, it is better to use video+DNG, and use a freshly formated SD card.

About the Wifi issue, we will try to reproduce the issue. According to your information, it might be linked with the Wifi waking up or the iPhone tries to connect the One’s wifi access point.

Can you observe the rear OLED display when it happens and tell us what you see?

Best regards,

Christophe

(Léo RENAULT) #5

When you says “video only” you mean the video mode of the DxO or the video mode of the Timelapses ?

Related to the OLED screen, when the bugs arrives, it display “DXO” as when it starts. Then, it trys to continue the Timelapse with the countdown display, and finally, it restarts again and angain until I stop it, always with the same pattern.

But, I’m I the only one with bugs like that ? :joy:
Because if so, it can be related to my own devise and not to all of them !

However, I hope that my observations will help !

(cseyve) #6

Hi,

Yes, you are the only one reporting this :frowning: So maybe it’s linked to your device indeed. That’s why we need more information to reproduce it. The reboot you see are a security (watchdog) when something is wrong, we preferred to cut the timelapse is several parts than take the risk of not being able to shoot the next pictures.

By “video only”, I meant for the time-lapse output. You have 4 possible outputs for the timelapse:

• only video (no JPEG or DNG)
  • only JPEG
  • video + DNG
  • JPEG + DNG

Each mode uses a different writing bandwidth on the SD card. They use more and more bandwidth in this order: video only is the lightest, so to be privileged with a shot every 1 to 3 seconds, JPEG in basic quality can be used at 4 s.

The quality of the SD card is very important, it is much advised to use U3 cards. The write capabilities of the manufacturers are usually verrryyyy optimistic, and are true only for empty cards. When the card controller needs to write the data of the save image in a lot of small blocks, the writing performance drops.

I would say from my experience with Sandisk U1 (Ultra, Ultra Plus is quite the same), than use video+DNG only with interval greater than 8s. JPEG+DNG only when > 10 or 12s. From my personal point of view, I don’t think JPEG+DNG is very useful with timelapse. And I use U3 cards, much safer considering the time investment required by timelapse.

I would advise: 1) use U3 card:
2) format according to interval:

• video only for short interval (<= 4s)
  • JPEG only with basic quality between 3 and 5 s
  • video + DNG after 6 s (in U3 only !!), 10 s at least for U1.

I hope it helps.

Christophe