Bug in Filter: When nothing selected to filter then all photos are shown

@KeithR there was a feature request only 2 years ago or so asking for the filtering behaviour you consider to be a bug. At least 43 users voted for it. Interstingly, StevenL already agreed with what most users in your thread also said:

The only thing I know is that this feature is a huge pain for our users and a major problem for a photographer’s workflow.

I remember how puzzled and surprised I was using the filter menu for the first time. I disliked it definitely and was and am used to “the other way”, what seems to be non-logical for you.

And by adding more buttons, nothing gets clearer, it just needs more explanation and is not needed as nearly everybody is used to the positive pro-active way it is now. As long as filters are not needed, everything PL can display is on display. And if I want to see the rejected items, one click instead of two is better, not to mention 5 clicks instead of 1 for a certain rating.

1 Like

If you don’t filter, well then you don’t filter and will see everything.
If you filter you’ll see only what you filter.
Filtering is adding a filter to your source.

George

1 Like

Filters tend to be something that one has to get used to.

As a comparison (and without wanting to say that it’s better or worse), Lightroom has two possibilities to filter the images

1. the so-called “Library” filter, which is similar to DPL’s search functionality

Note the different registers (Title, Attribute, Metadata) and the “master off” switch.

2. another attribute filter positioned below the preview

and a possibility to create filter presets

Both filters can be shown or hidden, some of the filters can be customised.

I took some time to get used to Lr’s filters. I find them easier to operate than DPL’s though, mostly because the filter area does not collapse after making a selection, which means that the pointer does not have to travel long distances.

Hint: If the lower three sections of the filter dropdown were aligned on one line (no text, just tool tips) mouse travel could be reduced.

To add some extra spice to this discussion :wink::thinking: here is a definition of a filter:

To filter is to process or assess (items) in order to reject those that are unwanted.

Not quite right. There’re passing through filters and blocking filters.

George

…and keep the wanted/selected.

Like I said before, if there’s no filter, there’s no rejection of whatever.

George

2 Likes