B&W looks not neutral in PL6 but exported images are

Tried the autumn image and found that it behaves as expected on my Mac, no matter how I convert to B&W - if I do it properly (and with minimal tools as shown below)

Comments

• applied No Correction
  • desaturated the image with the HSL tool
  • played with White Balance for a mellow image
  • played with sliders in HSL for more detail in leaves

I used DPL6 (without VP and FP) on macOS Ventura (beta) on M1 MacBook Air 2020.

Creating a B&W through desaturation often yields uninteresting images. B&W conversions mostly weigh different colour ranges differently, be it in the FilmPack presets or the Style - Toning tool. I like to use the HSL tool to change wights of colour ranges, to make them brighter or darker, and I like HSL, because it lets me change the width of the colour ranges, something that no other of the provided tools can do.

I also checked the output files, they are as B&W as my preview here.

Note that the Style - Toning tool can be used for B&W, but as soon as you shift its slider away from its zero position, you re-introduce colours, be it in true or complementary hues.

None of the above explains, why you get different images though. Time to get in touch with support.dxo.com?

Addendum: Iā€™d also close the lower RH corner of the image with a gradient.

Now I tested it with two old monitors. It depends on the monitor, but why?

I connected a very old HP monitor to a USBC-HDMI adaptor and the color problem was solved. I also connected a EIZO 2420CS to the USBC socket of the Mac Mini with a USBC-Displayport cable. I works fine.

So why does not work my LG P880 4k monitor properly? It is hardware calibrated, there is not a profile software involved. Why is only the big picture in PL6 effected and not the small one? Why do I have no problems in PS and Capture One?

This could be the problem. The preview image has a profile applied but the monitor already has a profile applied internally. Is this possibly a result of double profiling?

I just set the LG monitor per hardware button to sRGB. I have still a color problem.

But, if you are also setting an output profile in PL6, you will be double profiling.

The EIZO CS2420 monitor is also hardware calibrated and it works propperly.

Do you know where I can disable it?

I tested an other cable. I used the USBC-to-displayport-cable but I have still the color problem.

If the only time you get the problem is with one particular monitor, but it works on others, then I would say that it has to be more to do with that than anything to do with DxO.

2 Likes

Something is wrong, but what? The monitor works with DXO under Windows 10 fine. But not with MacOS 12.6 and DXO.
But the monitor works fine with Capture One and MacOS 12.6 and also Photoshop/MacOS.

The monitor is called LG UN880-B. Does anybody have the same one?

Does the program you use on the Mac uses color management?

George

I hope DXO PL6 uses color management. Do you think it does not?

PL6 uses AdobeRGB for legacy colour space and its own fo wide gamut.

Apple monitors use P3 colour space, which is wider than AdobeRGB. A lot of other non-Apple monitors use sRGB.

I still suspect it has something to do with the hardware calibration.

I thought you used a different program to compare.

George

Photoshop and Capture One.

Now I tested it by using a HDMI cable connection to the Mac Mini. And the colors are right. :slight_smile:

The grey image in PL6 has the RGB numbers 201/199/202 conntect to the mac using a USBC or Displayport cable and the RGB numbers 200/200/200 connected to the mac using a HDMI cable.

Can it be an 8 bit vs. 10 bit problem? I think HDMI can only transfer 8 bit and USBC/Displayport 10 bit. My old monitor supports only 8 bit too I think.

Somebody knows if DXO PL6 supports 10 bit?

No donā€™t think it does m
ore do I think it supports hard calibration