Avoiding black triangles when rotating

I have a solution for that. Pretend your digital cameras are old fashioned film cameras.

Even though you are shooting RAW, choose the preset that gives you the flattest, most neutral, rendering for the rear screen and image previews.

Turn off anything “AI” or smart.

Turn off automatic everything, except for auto-focus if you need it, and use aperture priority (this includes things like noise reduction)

This then gives you “negatives” that are “standardised” and which can be processed more easily in PL using your own preferred presets there. That way, you can concentrate on shooting with the camera rather than worrying about what effect the in-camera settings will have, some of which you may not want on all shots. In short, the equivalent of shooting film where you had no custom settings and everything was done in the darkroom.

PhotoLab has a fairly limited set of possibility to change the looks and behaviour of the application, the possibilities for presets are huge in comparison. But there is an issue with using the crop tool. It can revert to original", but I’ve not been able to pinpoint the source of this evil.

I’ve also modified PL’s built-in presets to use an unconstrained crop ratio, but the “original” ratio seems to be burnt-in somewhere and therefore reappears as noted above.

This is a series of shots taken with different picture styles, four shots use B&W picture styles:

Can anybody tell a difference in the images exported by PhotoLab using the same preset for all images?

We have different priorities, Joanna. A while ago, aperture priority was my way to go. I changed that to manual mode and ISO-auto. To me, choosing aperture and shutter speed is more relevant than shooting at base ISO, I leave that to the pixelpeepers and I’m not competing with LF film cameras in terms of noise. Aperture and shutter speed give me creative options. ISO doesn’t. Since I use fast lenses more often than slow ones, focus-accuracy is something I care about and use the pretty cool loupe function in Lumix AF increasingly. Nikon’s Z line doesn’t have that feature: Usually I use AF-C as my body movements already make a difference when being in a portrait-distance. With this “loupe in AF” the camera switches to AF-S while enlarging the area around the focus point - but not the focus point size, that one decreases. So I get a more accurate focus than I’d be able to catch manually.

And when shooting, I’m never too worried - if I need to switch settings, I tend to reset them after the situation. But I get what you meant, just were you replying seriously on my joke with “4+10 custom” settings. Using them would be attractive to me if I always knew which settings are included in the custom settings and which still can be outside the set. This was very annoying with Nikon Z (which uses custom settings the way D5xxx or D7xxx use them, not Dx or D7xx/D8xx - they have the banks). I’m not a fan of these custom settings. Nice in the beginning but the more cameras I tried the less patient I was to find out about them.

And turn the camera upside down. Oh wait… :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I did some random examples.:grin:
Landscape is often 16:9 ratio wile portret often 3:2 or 1:1 , portret uses a lot of fine contrast and no microcontrast for skin wile landscape can benefit of clearview and saturation.

Art and cars? Some cars are art and like to be detailed with microcontrast and other sharpening. As some art.

What i ment was, if a certain way of editing is popping up often you know probably which sliders you use first and almost always that would be the adjusted preset destilated from the base default preset.
In batch processing presets are very powerfull in adjusted to the case ,select apply preset move on.

Just be aware that you can safe a repeated edit sequence.

If I like to use an edit for another series, ⌘+⇪+C is my path. Else than that, I loooove soooo much to get involved into the creative process of endless mouse travels and clicks, I would miss an impooooortant part of the photographic creative process :clown_face: