Automation

I’m probably not going to buy PureRAW now, having decided to stick with PhotoLab for now, but had I been going to move to a PureRAW-to-other-product workflow I would very much want to have the ability to script the PureRAW engine. Given there are so few options this seems doable.

All this would need would be a means of running PureRAW on a command line and providing it with a list of files to process and a few other parameters. Something like this:

pureraw --format dng --algorithm deepprime --output ~/Pictures file1 file2 file3 file4

The goal would be when I insert a memory card, the photos would automatically be ingested via PureRAW and the results sent to my dedicated SSD for photos.

6 Likes

Could not agree more - being able to automate this makes it worth adding to my workflow.

2 Likes

I would really need that, too. It is definitely a missing feature.

This would be very helpful to integrate into automated workflows.

Dear Developers, is there anything in Version 2 which helps in this respect?
I would really like to integrate it better into my management software.

The easiest way to integrate PureRaw into a workflow is this:

If you don’t like DPR’s output file names, you’ll have to change them anyways…

Thanks platypus, yes - what I was proposing is something which makes automatic processing possible (without further user interaction). The current system also has the problem, that if a process is already running, you cannot add further images and you have to wait.

But anyway, I developed a solution for this today, at least for windows.

The latest version of fotoARRAY (.com) includes a launcher application which can be called from PureRaw. It will not only add the images to be automatically imported or otherwise processed in the catalog software, but it can also call another program with the images when this is required. The use of the launcher program works around the problem that you cannot specify additional control parameters to the program you can export to.
If there is demand it would also be possible to implement other things, i.e. rename the image files automatically. So please let me know.

If you need to do other task, just make a copy of the launcher exe and edit its property set by starting it.

Edit: The tool can now also remove unwanted suffixes

Something like a watched folder maybe? And continuously feeding it with images that will then be treated by DPR?

No, this was not what I have in mind. Basically it is very simple - many programs can be started with start up commands, also PureRaw can do it. But it only accepts a list of files and no other options. So the user always has to confirm that the images which are visible in the UI are processed and also what it is done next. This requires some more clicks, which is unfortunate, because of the long time the process takes. If you process 30 files to can take up to 30 minutes until you come to the dialog you quoted above. This is why it would make sense to tell in advance by commandline what to do with the resulting images.

There are also just 5 slots for external programs. But with the helper program I mentioned above this problem can be overcome, also the suffixes can be changed/removed.

The LR plugin seems to use (I read the source code on github) some complicated code to create a virtual directory using a tool called junction. This all would not be required, if PureRaw could be told from “outside” where it should write the output files.

DxO really needs a general workflow solution. Something like a general command line interface that would include switches for:

• input files or folder
  • what to do (preset)
  • output location

Each DxO application should have a preset feature that should include:

• options for the specific program
  • output format (ie DNG, TIF, JPG)
1 Like

Is there any progress on this? The ability to run it from command-line passing either a list of RAW filenames or an input directory would really help.

Thank you.

1 Like

I would rather have a cli that has some built-in features…
this would allow me to make better use of CPU and GPU processes…
I could make my python script and use the subprocess library to kick off more than one instance of DXO PureRaw at a time.

how do we go about getting this?
:smiley: